Splunk Search

Listing sources not having a match

nnkreddy
Engager

Hello,

I've a simple requirement but new to Splunk so facing some challenges and hoping for some luck!

My application writes HEARTBEAT messages every 2 min to log files to multiple sources. I'm just trying to create an alert and send email if heartbeat messages aren't written in last 5 min. 

It may look simple but I also need to know which sources doesn't have heartbeat messages. 

I've tried with below query which works but sometimes giving me incorrect results. So, looking for an better and simple solution.

index = index1 earliest=-5m latest=now  source IN (dev-*api.log) ("testapi" AND "HEARTBEAT")
| fields source
| append [ search index = index1 earliest=-2w@w0 latest=now source IN (dev-*api.log) ("testapi" AND "HEARTBEAT")
    | stats dc(source) as source_list by source
    | fields source
    ] 
| rex field=_raw "HEARTBEAT for (?<APIName>.*).jar (?<Version>.*)"
| stats count as #heartbeats, latest(Version) as Versions by APIName, JVM
| eval Status=case(('#heartbeats' <= 1 OR isnull('#heartbeats')), "NOT RUNNING", '#heartbeats' > 1, "RUNNING")
| table APIName, Versions, Status

Appreciate the help! Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @nnkreddy,

if you're confident that you received an event in the last 24 hours, you could run something like this:

index = index1 earliest=-24h latest=now  source IN (dev-*api.log) ("testapi" AND "HEARTBEAT")
| stats latest(_time) AS latest BY APIName, JVM
| where latest>now()-300

If you're not sure that you received at least one event in the last 24 hours, you have to create a lookup  (called e.g. perimeter.csv) containing all the APIName and JVM to monitor, then you can run something like this:

index = index1 earliest=-m5 latest=now  source IN (dev-*api.log) ("testapi" AND "HEARTBEAT")
| stats count BY APIName, JVM
| append [ | inputlookup perimeter.cv | eval count=0 | fields APIName JVM count ]
| stats sum(count) AS total BY APIName, JVM
| where total=0

The second search is less heavy and long to execute and gives more control, but requires to manage the lookup.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

nnkreddy
Engager

Hi @gcusello,

Option 1 is the smart solution without complicating it - its working perfectly fine! Thanks for the help. 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @nnkreddy,

if you're confident that you received an event in the last 24 hours, you could run something like this:

index = index1 earliest=-24h latest=now  source IN (dev-*api.log) ("testapi" AND "HEARTBEAT")
| stats latest(_time) AS latest BY APIName, JVM
| where latest>now()-300

If you're not sure that you received at least one event in the last 24 hours, you have to create a lookup  (called e.g. perimeter.csv) containing all the APIName and JVM to monitor, then you can run something like this:

index = index1 earliest=-m5 latest=now  source IN (dev-*api.log) ("testapi" AND "HEARTBEAT")
| stats count BY APIName, JVM
| append [ | inputlookup perimeter.cv | eval count=0 | fields APIName JVM count ]
| stats sum(count) AS total BY APIName, JVM
| where total=0

The second search is less heavy and long to execute and gives more control, but requires to manage the lookup.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...