Splunk Search

Latest/Earliest Timeformat using another timezone other than the default

benspader
Explorer

I need to create a search that uses the UTC timezone not my default which is Central time (UTC - 6h).

Basically my search must search from NOW to the earliest of 6pm yesterday, but the problem I have is when it is past 6pm in the same day this time modifier (earliest=@d-6h latest=now) still puts me back to 6pm yesterday but it should be 6pm today.

Does anyone have any idea how I can create a time modifier that will be smart enough to not go back to yesterday at 6pm if it is past 6pm in the same day?
Thanks in advance.
-Ben

0 Karma
1 Solution

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

You can use a subsearch to generate the correct value for earliest;

sourcetype=splunkd index=_internal latest=now() [search * | head 1 | eval now_hour = strftime(now(),"%H") | eval earliest = if((now_hour > 17), "@d+18h", "@d-6h") | fields + earliest] | the rest of your search

Hope this helps,

K

View solution in original post

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

You can use a subsearch to generate the correct value for earliest;

sourcetype=splunkd index=_internal latest=now() [search * | head 1 | eval now_hour = strftime(now(),"%H") | eval earliest = if((now_hour > 17), "@d+18h", "@d-6h") | fields + earliest] | the rest of your search

Hope this helps,

K

benspader
Explorer

This should work! Thank you very much!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...