Splunk Search

Join two events and publish the fields

rbachu1
Explorer

Hi Everyone, 

I have two events like below on the same index though. I captured all fields through rex command but unable to join and publish the desired output. Kindly Help. Thank you

index=abc 

Event 1 :

caseStatus in update case :: CaseStatusToUpdate [caseId=12345, caseStatus=Active, timeStamp=Fri Mar 19 18:49:39 UTC 2021]

Event 2:

caseDetails :: [caseID=12345, type=Credit]

Output:

caseID, caseStatus, type, timeStamp

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rbachu1,

the fields ara automatically extracted by Splunk because they are in the format field_name=field_value, but they have a different name, so to group them you have to rename one of them, then you can use the stats command to group them, something like this:

index=your_index
| rename caseId AS caseID
| stats values(caseStatus) AS caseStatus status(type) AS type values(timeStamp) AS timeStamp BY caseID

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

rbachu1
Explorer

Thank you, that helped. 🙂

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rbachu1,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking.

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rbachu1,

the fields ara automatically extracted by Splunk because they are in the format field_name=field_value, but they have a different name, so to group them you have to rename one of them, then you can use the stats command to group them, something like this:

index=your_index
| rename caseId AS caseID
| stats values(caseStatus) AS caseStatus status(type) AS type values(timeStamp) AS timeStamp BY caseID

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

rbachu1
Explorer

Thank you for the reply. However, I am not using splunk  field extractor for extracting fields, I am using rex command, I have captured caseID from both the events using rex commands. but I am stuck in joining them and publish the case status as per  caseID. 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rbachu1,

if you use two regexes to extract fields is easier because you have only to use the same fieldname in both field extraction, in few words: to group events you need the same fieldname.

Then the approach with stats is the correct one, did you tried it?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...