Splunk Search

Join or Subsearch performance

MaryvonneMB
Path Finder

Hi all,

I have a performance question about "join" and "subsearch".
Even join is a ressource-guzzler command I saw that sometimes it works better than a subsearch:

for example:

Query A =>  index=my_index [search index=other_one earliest=-1d@d|fields field1 |dedup field1|table field1]
Query B => index=my_index |join type=inner max=1 field1 [search index=other_index earliest=-1d@d |fields field1 |dedup field1|table field1]

in "my_index" I have about 20 millions of datas. in "other_index" + earliest=-1d@d I have about 80 000 datas. In this case the query A is faster than query B.
But if i have more than 300 000 datas in "other_index" + earliest=-1d@d, then query B is faster query A.

Does anyone have an explanation?

Thanks 🙂

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

try this:

Query A =>  earliest=-2d@d latest=-1d@d index=my_index [search index=other_one earliest=-1d@d|fields field1 |dedup field1|table field1]
 Query B => earliest=-2d@d latest=-1d@d index=my_index |join type=inner max=1 field1 [search index=other_index earliest=-1d@d |fields field1 |dedup field1|table field1]

is there still a difference?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...