Splunk Search

Join command not matching on username properly

jsoohoo

I'm trying to join the two queries together one which queries the total number of accesses by a student and then the inner search tries to match the student's username to find the faculty they belong to.

If I specify the students username in both of the main and inner search the join command returns the desired result. But if I remove the students username as I want to run this query over all students in a given month, it seems like the join command doesn't match up on the username correctly and then returns no faculty information for most of the records which is incorrect because I know they exist in the summary index. What I want is for all rows in main search to merge with faculty info in the summary index which I know exist but atm there is no faculty information returned when I do this join:

index="app" (connect? OR login?) session!=- source="/srv/home/logfiles.log"
| stats dc(session) AS SessionCount BY url, username
| rename username as USERNAME
| table USERNAME, url, "SessionCount"
| join type=left USERNAME [search index="student-summary" source="SummaryIndex"
| table USERNAME, FACULTY
| dedup FACULTY | mvcombine FACULTY]

This works perfectly (if specifying student username jobloggs):
index="app" (connect? OR login?) session!=- source="/srv/home/logfiles.log" jobloggs
| stats dc(session) AS SessionCount BY url, username
| rename username as USERNAME
| table USERNAME, url, "SessionCount"
| join type=left USERNAME [search index="student-summary" source="SummaryIndex" jobloggs
| table USERNAME, FACULTY
| dedup FACULTY | mvcombine FACULTY]

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...