Splunk Search

Join 2 searches and finding the difference in the output.

arungeorge09
Path Finder

I want to join 2 queries by a common field and the counts of the searches are different. I want to work on the dataset which does not join.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

arungeorge09
Path Finder

My two searches are here.

index=xyz event="NEAT-IN" platform="APNS" | join type=inner platform,batch [search index=xyz event="push*"] | stats count(event)

Each individual query count is different but when joined it always counts the joined count as the largest count.

View solution in original post

arungeorge09
Path Finder

My two searches are here.

index=xyz event="NEAT-IN" platform="APNS" | join type=inner platform,batch [search index=xyz event="push*"] | stats count(event)

Each individual query count is different but when joined it always counts the joined count as the largest count.

MuS
Legend

no need to join, try this:

index=xyz event="NEAT-IN" platform="APNS"  OR event="push*" 
| stats count(eval(event="NEAT-IN")) AS count_NEAT count(eval(event="push*")) AS count_push by platform, batch

cheers, MuS

arungeorge09
Path Finder

@Mus Executed the query but count_push is coming as zero . Looks like splunk does not do count(eval(event="push*"))

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

or try this:

index=xyz event="NEAT-IN" platform="APNS"  OR event="push*" 
 | stats count(eval(event="NEAT-IN")) AS count_NEAT count(eval(if(match(event, push) , 1, 0 ))) AS count_push by platform, batch
0 Karma

arungeorge09
Path Finder

Now both counts are coming as 578.

Query used:
index=xyz event="NEAT-IN" platform="APNS" OR event="push*"
| stats count(eval(event="NEAT-IN")) AS count_NEAT count(eval(if(match(event, push) , 1, 0 ))) AS count_push by platform

The output is 578,578 . This is not correct @MuS.

It should be 578,488

Any Idea what is happening.

0 Karma

arungeorge09
Path Finder

NEAT-IN

<167>1 2014-12-14T18:23:49.908-07:00 x.y.com neat 901 apns [meta@28281 sequenceId="69599" sysUpTime="1109890868"][analytics@28281 event="NEAT-IN" platform="APNS"] {"timestamp":"1418606629897","platform":"apns","alertId":"1404841346","appId":"appId","args":{"time":"1418606629788","batch":"48288","tms_id":"tmsId","src":"src"},"deviceToken":"devToken","alert":"Exciting Game"}

pushApns

<167>1 2014-12-14T18:23:49.909-07:00 x.y.com neat 6627 apns [meta@28281 sequenceId="71272" sysUpTime="1109890867"][analytics@28281 event="pushApns" platform="APNS" outcome="0" errorCode="0" errorDesc="Push to apns success" errorContext="TCP-SSL" operation="PUSH_APNS" opTime="0" startTime="1418606629908" appId="appId" deviceToken="devToken" args="{\"time\":\"1418606629788\",\"batch\":\"48288\",\"tms_id\":\"tms_id\",\"src\":\"src\"}" txId="2099269910"]

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

this should provide the correct count:

index=xyz event="NEAT-IN" OR event="pushApns" platform="APNS" 
| stats count(eval(event="NEAT-IN")) AS count_NEAT count(event="pushApns") AS count_push
0 Karma

arungeorge09
Path Finder

Why not the previous one.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

because count(event="pushApns") is not the same like count(eval(if(match(event, push) , 1, 0 )))
the first will match only the event field which contains pushApns but the later will match any event field containing push like foopush or pushbaz or pushApns

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/CommonEvalFunctions

arungeorge09
Path Finder

But event can be only pushApns or NEAT-IN

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

No, can you provide some samples of your events?

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

could be try it without the star/wildcard and use the value you need instaed

0 Karma

arungeorge09
Path Finder

Not understanding how the count got goofed up

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

What do you mean by missing ? You lose the rows after you perform a join ?

0 Karma

arungeorge09
Path Finder

I have 2 searches and there counts are different. I want to find the rows which don't join.

0 Karma

arungeorge09
Path Finder

event="NEAT-IN" has 578 count
event="pushApns" has only 488 count
I want to know which 578-488 are the missing ones and do further query on them

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...