Splunk Search

Issue with search query

mamulani11

I have User_Id field in my log. In the user_Id field I have value like john,sonia,ces\ts1,......
Now when i am searching for john & sonia
I am getting the exact answer
But when I am searching for ces/ts1.I am getting no result found.
Can anyone please tell me whats the error. Is that search command doesn't take "\".
Please help......

Tags (1)
0 Karma

the_wolverine
Champion

There are escape characters (particularly with the Windows Event Logs, I have noticed). If you're unsure of the syntax you can always search with a wildcard:

User_Id=*ts1

To the left of your results, you have a list of fields. Click on the User_Id field and select the match for your user "css/ts1". This will return the exact search string needed in the search bar for your reference.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There appears to be a mix of forward slashes / and backslashes \ going on - make sure you're searching for the right kind.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If there are special character in the field value, while searching then by value, your need to escape them. E.g. if user_id=ces/ts1 then in search use user_id="ces\/ts1"

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

please provide your exact search queries, and a few sample lines of your log file.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...