Splunk Search

Is there a way to populate an "IN (...)" with items from subsearch?

spinnerdog
Explorer

Is there a way to populate the items in an "IN" statement with the results of a sub query?  I've tried several variations.

index=x accountid IN ( [ search index=special_accounts | rename accountid as query ] ) 

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Since the IN operator is mapped to a series of ORs under the covers, use the OR output produced by the subsearch.

index=x accountid [ search index=special_accounts | rename accountid as query | fields query | format ]

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

spinnerdog
Explorer

Okay, thanks.  Was trying to work around using the format command, but maybe there is a way to use it differently.  How can you make the format command produce output like.

[search index=special_accounts | table accountid | format mvsep=AND ]

where the desired output would use != instead of =

(accountid!=xxx AND accountid!=yyy AND ...)

Thanks

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Why avoid format?  It produces the same thing that IN does.

You can change OR to AND in format, but there's no way I can find to change = to !=.  However, "(foo!=bar AND foo!=baz)" is not the same as "foo IN (bar, baz)", which is what I thought the OP wanted.

---
0 Karma

spinnerdog
Explorer

correct, its just the inverse of what the format command produces.  I have a list of valid values and I want the events with invalid values.  Was hoping to use something line NOT IN (...).  But that's not an option and I also can't find a way to change = to "!=".

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Oh!  That's easy!  Just negate the subsearch.

index=x accountid NOT [ search index=special_accounts | rename accountid as query | fields query | format ]

It'll give you NOT (foo=bar OR foo=baz)

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...