Splunk Search

Is there a way to extract/show the first and last events in a transaction?

DEAD_BEEF
Builder

I have a transaction query that returns groups of logs that are typically 5-10 events clumped together. The query uses startswith/endswith. I really only care about the first and last event. Is there any way I can pull these out or at least pull out some of the data from a field in the first and a field in the last?

1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

I get the issue here. What transaction does is creates a multivalued field for each available field in merged events and by default the multivalued field is create in the same way as | stats values(field), so basically they are sorted alphabetically and duplicate values are removed.

What you need to do is to use mvlist=t option in your transaction command and it'll retain the order of the field values (similar to | stats list(field)), then the mvindex portion would work just fine. Like this

transaction query with mvlist=t | eval first_domain=mvindex(destination, 0) | eval last_domain=mvindex(destination, -1) | table user,first_domain,last_domain

Update
Try this for removing duplicates from user (or any field)

transaction query with mvlist=t | eval first_domain=mvindex(destination, 0) | eval last_domain=mvindex(destination, -1) | eval user=mvdedup(user) | table user,first_domain,last_domain

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

I get the issue here. What transaction does is creates a multivalued field for each available field in merged events and by default the multivalued field is create in the same way as | stats values(field), so basically they are sorted alphabetically and duplicate values are removed.

What you need to do is to use mvlist=t option in your transaction command and it'll retain the order of the field values (similar to | stats list(field)), then the mvindex portion would work just fine. Like this

transaction query with mvlist=t | eval first_domain=mvindex(destination, 0) | eval last_domain=mvindex(destination, -1) | table user,first_domain,last_domain

Update
Try this for removing duplicates from user (or any field)

transaction query with mvlist=t | eval first_domain=mvindex(destination, 0) | eval last_domain=mvindex(destination, -1) | eval user=mvdedup(user) | table user,first_domain,last_domain

DEAD_BEEF
Builder

I had been looking over the data and realized the alphabetical order as well right before you posted! Using mvlist=t it extracts the first and last exactly as intended! One small hiccup is that it lists the user 9 times (once for each log?) in the table. Any ideas on that? This is still something I can accept as the first/last are the most important to me but cleaning it up would be 11/10!

user    first_domain    last_domain
jondoe  alibaba.com     malware.com
jondoe    
jondoe    
jondoe    
jondoe    
jondoe    
jondoe    
jondoe    
jondoe    
0 Karma

DEAD_BEEF
Builder

That works! I got it to work by using eval and grabbing the first user in the logs, but I think your dedup solution is cleaner. I really appreciate all the help!! I learned about the mv commands now and learned I still have a lot to learn regarding Splunk. Thank you very much.

0 Karma

DEAD_BEEF
Builder

Below is some sample data of my transaction query (9 events grouped together as one)

9/25 12:00:01 alibaba.com jondoe
9/25 12:00:01 reddit.com jondoe
9/25 12:00:01 www.gmail.com jondoe
9/25 12:00:01 malware.com jondoe

And here is my what I currently am getting

query:

transaction query | eval first_domain=mvindex(destination, 0) | eval last_domain=mvindex(destination, -1) | table user,first_domain,last_domain

query results:

user      first_domain      last_domain
jondoe    alibaba.com       www.google.com
0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

base search with transaction | eval field_first=mvindex(field, 0) | eval field_last=mvindex(field, mvcount(field)-1)

*UPDATED*

base search | transaction query mvlist=t | eval field_first=mvindex(field, 0) | eval field_last=mvindex(field, -1)
0 Karma

DEAD_BEEF
Builder

I got it to give me the first website someone goes to, but I can't get it to give me the last. There are 9 total events grouped together in my transaction test. It's giving me:

• first_site=from_log 1 (excellent!)
  • last_site=from_log 3 (not the last one, log 9)

eval first_site=mvindex(destination, 0) | eval last_site=mvindex(destination, mvcount(dest_hostname)-1) | table first_site,last_site

Any ideas?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

You're using wrong field name in the mvcount function. If fact you could just remove that function completely, using just -1 will select the last item.

eval first_site=mvindex(destination, 0) | eval last_site=mvindex(destination,-1) | table first_site,last_site
0 Karma

DEAD_BEEF
Builder

I tried making the changes, but still getting the same thing. Any idea? I'm at a loss because it would seem to make sense but isn't. I posted some sample data in the original post to better clarify the issue and show what is happening.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...