Splunk Search

Is there a syntax error in my search to extract a field from the source field?

HMTODD
Explorer

I am using the following search to extract a field, named 'JobName", from the field named "source"

index="nlg_test_csv_mfjobs" | rex field=source "SPLUNK\\(?[A-Z0-9]+)*_REPORT.*DETAILS.*\.CSV"

and I get this error:

Error in 'rex' command: Encountered the following error while compiling the regex 'SPLUNK\(?[A-Z0-9]+)*_REPORT.*DETAILS.*\.CSV': Regex: unmatched parentheses

I cannot find where the parenthesis are unmatched, unless they are being affected by the regular expression. The expression works in various online regex testers. I am concerned about some Splunk specific syntax that I may not be taking into account.

thanks.

0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The right parenthesis needs to be escaped.

SPLUNK\(?[A-Z0-9]+\)*_REPORT.DETAILS..CSV

Depending on the data you are trying to match, one or more of the dots may need to be escaped as well.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

index="nlg_test_csv_mfjobs" | rex field=source "SPLUNK\\\(?<JobName>[A-Z0-9]+)*_REPORT\.DETAILS\.CSV"
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The right parenthesis needs to be escaped.

SPLUNK\(?[A-Z0-9]+\)*_REPORT.DETAILS..CSV

Depending on the data you are trying to match, one or more of the dots may need to be escaped as well.

---
0 Karma

HMTODD
Explorer

I am not a regx expert, but "guessed" that something was messing with the parenthesis (based on the error). Ultimately, this worked...

rex field=source "SPLUNK\(?[A-Z0-9]+)_REPORT.*DETAILS..CSV"

0 Karma

HMTODD
Explorer

Note that the string is being modified by the page after I submit. The string here is NOT correct. Let's try this. Note that the real search string does not have the outer quotes.

" rex field=source "SPLUNK\(?[A-Z0-9]+)_REPORT.*DETAILS..CSV" "

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So parens are not literally in your events. Didn't guess that without sample data. The new regex doesn't work in regex101.com, BTW, but that's probably a markup problem. If you put your regexes inside back-tics it won't be messed with by the site.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...