Splunk Search

Is there a solution to handle a field name in my data that overlaps with the default "source" field name?

anewell
Path Finder

My raw data includes a field "source=SoftwareSubsystemFoo", a name which overlaps the default 'source' field. In the past, I had the same issue and I dimly recall that the overlapping field was renamed something like '_extracted_source'. As an underscored fieldname it was hidden from the UI unless requested directly with the | fields search command. I can't find the details in my notes, and my search-fu is failing.

Does this remapped field name exist? What is it?

An alternate solution would be to create a transform, but I have a large and variable number of sourcetypes which might have namespace collisions, and I'd prefer an automatic solution, particularly if it were already happening in the background.

Reference: http://answers.splunk.com/answers/26243/source-as-fieldname.html

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

I suggest that you set up a field alias for your source field. If your field name is converted to "extracted_source", you could set up an alias to name it something else - even "Source", although that might be confusing.

Go to Settings -> Fields -> Field Alias. Fill out the form. If you want others to be able to use the alias, be sure to set the permissions. Note that only a Splunk admin can set the permissions to "Global" so that the alias will be available throughout the environment (and you may want this).

0 Karma

sk314
Builder

FWIW, I use splunk 6.2.2 and had a csv file with a field named source. It got converted to extracted_source. you could simply rename the field in your logs or rename extracted_source to something else using the rename command.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...