Splunk Search

Is it possible to append/concatenate regexes for one field check?

hexerino
Explorer

Currently I have a search as follows:

myFieldName="mySearchValue" | where match(path,`startOfPath`)
`startOfPath` expands to f.e. "^C\:\\\Windows\\\.*"

Some cases, however, I'd need to specify additional paths. In order to avoid to have a lot of repetition, my question was whether it was possible to use startOfPath + rest of path to validate the path.

As requested by mydog8it I'll elaborate with a concrete example of what I'm trying to accomplish.

macro 1 : filter_CLIENT_CONTROL
ThreatName="Client Control" | where match(SourcePath,`path_windows` + CustomRestOfPath)

macro 2 : path_windows
"^C\:\\\Windows\\\.*"

Whilst what I'm trying to accomplish is as follows for the filter_CLIENT_CONTROL macro:
ThreatName="Client Control" | where match(SourcePath,`path_windows` + ".*\\(COMPATTELRUNNER)\.EXE" ")

So in essence, the regex within the filter_CLIENT_CONTROL macro expands to ^C\:\\(WINDOWS)\\.*\\(COMPATTELRUNNER)\.EXE

Thank you

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

hexerino
Explorer

After having provided information but not having received any feedback I solved the problem through an alternative approach.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

hexerino
Explorer

After having provided information but not having received any feedback I solved the problem through an alternative approach.

0 Karma

mydog8it
Builder

Can you provide example data and an example of how you would like it parsed? It sounds to me like you could just use two capture groups with the names "startOfPath" and another named "restOfPath".

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...