Splunk Search

Is base search will ignore events

kirrusk
Communicator

I'm using base search in my dashboard,
In dashboard panels , one created using base search query and other one is using normal query.
but base search one is giving three events less than the normal query( Which is correct and accurate).
So i doubted that base search will ignore event's if it will take more time to run query.

(here i'm trying to count the events based on specific fields)

If any one knows please clarify.

And one more thing , but sometimes base search is also giving accurate results(but it's very rare, one time only i saw).

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

We need your entire dashboard.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@kirrusk Yes it is expected that Post Processing Base search may drop events silently if there are events greater than that configured in limits.conf. By default 500K events.

So there are certain best practices around use of Base Search for post-processing. Please refer to Splunk documentation to know about both of these: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Viz/Savedsearches#Use_a_transforming_base_search

[UPDATED] default limit is 500K not 50K. Thanks for the correction @nplamondon 🙂

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

A base search is NOT a subsearch and is not under those limits.

0 Karma

nplamondon
Communicator

@niketnilay is off by 10x, but otherwise correct.

If the base search is a non-transforming search, the Splunk platform retains only the first 500,000 events that it returns.

niketn
Legend

Thanks for pointing it out @nplamondon . I have corrected the default limit 🙂

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please share your base search.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...