Splunk Search

Iplocation reporting wrong country for a host - can this be fixed?

vysean
Explorer

Not sure how or if this can be fixed, but iplocation is reporting Germany as the country for datacenter.fiberdc.com.tr (which one might guess is in Turkey). Other GeoIP databases are reporting as Turkey.

Any idea how to go about fixing this, or even if it can be fixed?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

vysean
Explorer

My apologies - I meant to close out this thread before it got posted, but it was hung up in moderation.

It's not a Splunk issue. Running lookup dnslookup on the IP reported the DNS name "datacenter.fiberdc.com.tr", but doing an nslookup on the DNS name comes back with a different IP (the one you noted above). So Splunk was behaving properly.

The IP in my logs does resolve to "datacenter.fiberdc.com.tr", but also correctly iplocates to Germany, as confirmed by multiple geolocation services.

Sorry to waste your time!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

vysean
Explorer

My apologies - I meant to close out this thread before it got posted, but it was hung up in moderation.

It's not a Splunk issue. Running lookup dnslookup on the IP reported the DNS name "datacenter.fiberdc.com.tr", but doing an nslookup on the DNS name comes back with a different IP (the one you noted above). So Splunk was behaving properly.

The IP in my logs does resolve to "datacenter.fiberdc.com.tr", but also correctly iplocates to Germany, as confirmed by multiple geolocation services.

Sorry to waste your time!

0 Karma

gmerhej_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'm guessing you're using the iplocation with an "IP" field? Is the value "185.59.46.158"?

I've tried the splunk iplocation command on this IP and it's showing Turkey not Germany.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...