Splunk Search

Inputs Conf on Deployment Apps and HFs

JohnEGones
Path Finder

Hi Splunkers, 

Have the following situation, and interested in another opinion:

We have a distributed environment with clusters indexers and SHs, and HFs in distributed sites. We are using a deployer to push out CONFs to the HFs and other assets defined by serverclass. I am trying to set-up a configuration where the HFs are receiving data from a remote host inbound on a specific TCP port.

HF Deployment App:
local\inputs.conf

in inputs.conf, there is a stanza for the expected data being input

Remote Host 1
[tcp:12345]
index = indexA
sourcetype = sourceType1
disabled = 0

Now there is a TA for this data type but it has an inputs.conf defined as:

[tcp://22245]
connection_host = dns
index = indexSomethingElse
sourcetype = sourceType
disabled = 0

Which one takes precedence? And if the indexes are different, will this mess up the ingestion and indexing?

Am I right in assuming that the inputs.conf defined for the overall inputs take precedence?

REF: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.1.3/Admin/Wheretofindtheconfigurationfiles

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Depends on whether within the TA the conf is in the local or default  directory. If it's in local, it depends on the alphabetical order of apps. Read the document once again. And do a btool --debug to verify.

Also you're not using deployer to distribute apps to HFs. You're using delpyment server for it. Deployer is for search head cluster.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Depends on whether within the TA the conf is in the local or default  directory. If it's in local, it depends on the alphabetical order of apps. Read the document once again. And do a btool --debug to verify.

Also you're not using deployer to distribute apps to HFs. You're using delpyment server for it. Deployer is for search head cluster.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...