Splunk Search

Input on how to perform a search, field extraction and calculation ?

sjringo
Communicator

Here is what I am attempting to do:

I am trying to calculate the distinct count of the 'type' of users that are active.

In my log files all of my users have a user name that follows this pattern:  ABCD.aUserName

I am trying to calculate how many distinct users there are that are active for each 'type' where in the above example ABCD is the type.

First looking for high level approach ideas and want to dig into it myself to see what I can get to work but I just am not able to wrap my noodle around how to even approach it ?

I can extract the 'type' and the 'username' but if I have two extracted fields how do I correlate the two to be able to perform a count of dc(usernames) by type ?

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Is this what you mean?

| stats dc(username) by type

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

When the type field is extracted it becomes part of the event from which it was extracted and, therefore, associated with the user name.  Then it's just a matter of using stats dc(username) by type to get the results.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

sjringo
Communicator

I guess I was trying to overcomplicate things.  Its starting to make more sense now working through all of these different scenarios.

Thanks for the explination...

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Is this what you mean?

| stats dc(username) by type
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...