Splunk Search

Increasing TIMESTAMP by adding seconds.

jlhamlet
Path Finder

Hi,

I have a proxy log that logs the time the query was executed and also give the duration in seconds.

"11/Jan/2014:00:45:32.755 +0200" - - 1xx.1xx.1xx.43:0 0 - - 3226 "-"

I would like to "add" the seconds (3326) to the timestamp so that i can create a table with:
Start_time = 00:45:32
End time = "00:45:32" + "3336"

To sum up: End_Time should be START_TIME + SECONDS.

Hope i am clear on the explanation.

Thank you for your help

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you sure that's not in milliseconds?

0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

For similar circumstances, I use eval. I don't have an exact match to your needs, but you could try first to pull out the field you need with a rex (I don't have any ... is that an apache log? ... handy, so I'm sure someone else or other searching can turn up a better rex because this one is terrible. You could probably use the Field Extractor to get the field out, too.)

rex  "- - (?<time_taken>\d{1,5}) "

Then use that field, which IIRC you should be able to just do a

eval end_time=_time+time_taken

jlhamlet
Path Finder

Hi Rich,

Thank you, i did not expect it to be that simple 🙂

After your solution "eval end_time=_time+time_taken" i got results in Epoch time.
So i had to convert it using "convert" , "timeformat" and "ctime" to convert it back to normal.

Thank you 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...