Splunk Search

Idle log

saotaigiri
Path Finder

i need script in SPL to show when there is an idle forwarder or if a forwarder isn't forwarding

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
If you want to receive alerts about missing forwarders then, yes, you should enable it.
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
The Monitoring Console has an alert for that. Go to Settings->Monitoring Console->Settings->Alerts setup and look for "DMC Alert - Missing forwarders".
---
0 Karma

saotaigiri
Path Finder

It is greyed out, should i enable it?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
If you want to receive alerts about missing forwarders then, yes, you should enable it.
---
0 Karma

saotaigiri
Path Finder

Hello,

The server was turned off to test if the alert would work but t did not work. Please what can I do  to get an alert  where the forwarder is not getting any  data

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
"It did not work" doesn't help narrow the problem.
An alternative to the DMC alert is to create your own search for forwarder data. Save the search as an alert and have the alert trigger when the number of results is zero.
---
0 Karma

saotaigiri
Path Finder

Thanks for your reply, please could help to write the SPL query. I am not good at writing SPL queries.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
I can help. What do you have so far?
---
0 Karma

saotaigiri
Path Finder

The query below is what I am using but it doesn't seem to work. Please can you look at it and if possible tweak to the correct one.

| rest /services/server/info | eval LastStartupTime=strftime(startuptime, "%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S")
| eval timenow=now()
| eval daysup = round((timenow - startuptime) / 86400,0)
| eval Uptime = tostring(daysup) + " Days"
| table splunk_server LastStartupTime Uptime

I am looking to get an alert when  a server or host meant to be feeding Splunk goes down. Thanks

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That rest command will get you the status of your Splunk instances (indexers, search heads, etc), but not your forwarders

Try this query I found in the Splunk Security Essentials app. You should modify the index and sourcetype parameters to suit for environment.

| tstats prestats=t count(host) where index=* groupby host _time span=1d 
| tstats prestats=t append=t count where index=* sourcetype=* by host  _time span=1d 
| stats count(host) as all_logs count as win_logs by host _time 
| eval win_perc=round(100*(win_logs / all_logs), 2) 
| eventstats max(_time) as maxtime 
| stats count as num_data_samples avg(eval(if(_time<relative_time(maxtime, "-1d@d"), win_perc, null))) as avg sum(eval(if(_time<relative_time(maxtime, "-1d@d") AND win_perc=0, 1, null))) as past_instances_of_no_logs max(eval(if(_time>=relative_time(maxtime, "-1d@d"), win_perc, null))) as latest by host 
| where isnotnull(avg) AND num_data_samples>10 AND isnull(past_instances_of_no_logs) AND latest=0

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...