Splunk Search

I need to return only results where the "source" contains the current date.

griffinpair
Path Finder

Example:

source="D:\filepath\filepath\filepath\filepath\DebugImportHelper_7_25_2017.log"

This log file is created everyday with the current date. I want a search where is runs real time and only returns data from source that contains the current date. My current search looks like this (asterisks do not show, so $ represents where asterisks would be):

source=$"D:\filename\filename$ source=$filename\filename$ source=$clientID$ Start
| eval today=strftime(now(), "%m_%d_%Y") | where source=$today$
| eval time=strftime(round(strptime(full_Time, "%I:%M:%S %P")), "%H:%M:%S")
| eval late=if(time>"15:00:00", 1, 0)

| table Action, full_Date, full_Time, time, late, source

The "eval today=strftime(now(), "%m/%d/%Y") | where source=$today$" part returns the right date format, but the "where" does not work.

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The where clause doesn't support wildcards directly. You've to use either the like or match function with it. Where command requires % as wildcard character.

...| where like(source,"%".today."%") | ....

OR, match, which does 'contains' type of matching so you don't need a wildcard there.

...| where like(source,today) | ....

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The where clause doesn't support wildcards directly. You've to use either the like or match function with it. Where command requires % as wildcard character.

...| where like(source,"%".today."%") | ....

OR, match, which does 'contains' type of matching so you don't need a wildcard there.

...| where like(source,today) | ....

griffinpair
Path Finder

This was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...