Splunk Search

I'm thinking index corruption, right?

grijhwani
Motivator

Search =

index=index_root*| stats first(_time) as latest last(_time) as earliest count(index) by index | convert timeformat="%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S" ctime(earliest) ctime(latest)

Eventually results in

"[{{hostname}}] Error in 'IndexScopedSearch': The search failed. More than 3125000 events found at time 1338306857."

The epoc time of the error (2012-05-29 15:54:17 BST) is 4 seconds earlier than the earliest reported time before it bombs (although it reports it erroneously as 16:54:21). If I tie the search down to the last few seconds only 11 events are reported for that particular second (:21).

Tags (3)
0 Karma

Kate_Lawrence-G
Contributor

kind of...you basically have millions of events with the same date/time stamp which is causing an logical error in Splunk as to how many events it can process per second. (see http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/2958/error-in-indexscopedsearch-the-search-failed for very good explanation)

This is usually related to a bad time date stamp logic in a props.conf somewhere that isn't breaking the events down correctly.

0 Karma

grijhwani
Motivator

The thing is I can be pretty certain that in the original data this was not the case, and that something has intervened in the index. I'm going back auditing historic data that were in use as live data at the time, and no-one flagged up a fault back then.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...