Splunk Search

How to verify if ignoreOlderThan is working or not ?

ram254481493
Explorer

Hi I have implemented ignoreOlderThan for 7 days , I want to verify it if its working or not ? Is their any query or any place in DMC where i can validate that its working ?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

mayurr98
Super Champion

you can look for event timestamps:

if you are getting events older than 7 days so it's not working.

you could check

... | timechart span=1d count

If you have events older than 7 days before making this configuration then check for the count if it's increasing or it's constant.
that way you could determine if ignoreOlderThan is working or not.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

you can look for event timestamps:

if you are getting events older than 7 days so it's not working.

you could check

... | timechart span=1d count

If you have events older than 7 days before making this configuration then check for the count if it's increasing or it's constant.
that way you could determine if ignoreOlderThan is working or not.

0 Karma

ram254481493
Explorer

thanks after making the change i will validate.

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

sure, let me know.

0 Karma

ram254481493
Explorer

@mayurr98 hi i amde the change yesterday for ignore older than 14 days after implementing it i can see the data over 30 days coming and didnt see any effect of it my settings are below:
[WinEventLog://System]
disabled = false
start_from = oldest
current_only = 1
checkpointInterval = 5
index = wineventlog
renderXml=false
ignoreOlderThan = 14d

after adding these settings i run this query for 30 days |tstats count WHERE index=wineventlog by _time span=1d and i can see the data of 30 days not sure why its not working ?

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

Did you change these settings or it's a new input that you wrote?

was this input already there and then you added ignoreOlderThan ?

0 Karma

ram254481493
Explorer

@mayur98 yes this input is already there and i just added ignoreolderthan and change the current_only = 0 to 1

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

Yeah, so the already indexed data won't get affected. this attribute only affects from the time you make the change.

0 Karma

ram254481493
Explorer

ok got it , but is their any way that we can verify it that its working properly ?

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

yeah. so whatever is ingested will remain constant after this change. So for example, if x number events are already indexed then it won't increase. It will remain the same. you need to look at those numbers and see if they are changing or not.

0 Karma

ram254481493
Explorer

sure thanks mayur i can see the change

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...