Splunk Search

How to verify if a document has been reviewed based on the last update date and the versioning?

danje57
Path Finder

Hi all,

I need your help.

I retrieve a log from Sharepoint which contains the list of all published document with its information, in CSV format

Title, Author, Contributor, Last_Update_date, Version
Driver_policy, Albert, John, 07/03/2017, 4.0
Security_policy, Denise, MArie, 01/01/2017, 2.0

I would like to detect if a document has been reviewed at least 1 time a year.

Each day, I'll send the logs to Splunk. This logs could be the same if the document has been not modified

My guess is to play with the last update and the version in a lookup.

But I don't how to start.

Do you have any idea?

Thanks in advance.

0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

Updated Query based on field names/details provided. You had provided Author and Contributor as extracted fields earlier but in the new details you have not mentioned the same. Please confirm. In any case basically you have to take two things in account.

Since Document ID Is unique for each document that is the key, so your stats will be by ID.

Since you can get multiple entries for the same document everyday with same version, you should perform a distinct_count() or dc() based on the Versions i.e. dc(Version). min(), max(), last() and values() are other statistical functions that you can take advantage of to pull the data/stats as per your need.

<YourBaseSearch>| stats dc(Version) as VersionCount last(Title) LatestTitle last(Accountable_Owner) Publisher values(support_Contributor) as Contributors min(Last_Update) as FileCreateDate max(Last_Update) as FinalUpdateDate  values(Version) as Versions by ID
| search VersionCount>1
| table ID Title Publisher Versions Contributors FileCreateDate FinalUpdateDate

Files with VersionCount=1 will imply that they have not been modified since creation.

Refer to the list of statistical functions available in Splunk: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/CommonStatsFunctions

If you have something like a Document ID it would be better to correlate, however, based on data you provided you can try with Title and Author of the document as the correlation key. There can be several options, but I am using stats as the query would run for really long duration of time. It would be better to provide some filters on your dashboard for Searching patterns of Title, Author, Contributors and include them in your base search.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

Updated Query based on field names/details provided. You had provided Author and Contributor as extracted fields earlier but in the new details you have not mentioned the same. Please confirm. In any case basically you have to take two things in account.

Since Document ID Is unique for each document that is the key, so your stats will be by ID.

Since you can get multiple entries for the same document everyday with same version, you should perform a distinct_count() or dc() based on the Versions i.e. dc(Version). min(), max(), last() and values() are other statistical functions that you can take advantage of to pull the data/stats as per your need.

<YourBaseSearch>| stats dc(Version) as VersionCount last(Title) LatestTitle last(Accountable_Owner) Publisher values(support_Contributor) as Contributors min(Last_Update) as FileCreateDate max(Last_Update) as FinalUpdateDate  values(Version) as Versions by ID
| search VersionCount>1
| table ID Title Publisher Versions Contributors FileCreateDate FinalUpdateDate

Files with VersionCount=1 will imply that they have not been modified since creation.

Refer to the list of statistical functions available in Splunk: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/CommonStatsFunctions

If you have something like a Document ID it would be better to correlate, however, based on data you provided you can try with Title and Author of the document as the correlation key. There can be several options, but I am using stats as the query would run for really long duration of time. It would be better to provide some filters on your dashboard for Searching patterns of Title, Author, Contributors and include them in your base search.

danje57
Path Finder

Thanks niketnilay,

However I don't understand all the query.

I'll give you here the exact fields of the CSV file:

"File_Name","Title","ID","Doc_Category_BMS","Confidentiality","Last_Update","Version","Responsible_A_Manager","Responsible_B_Manager","Accountable_Owner","Support_Contributor","Informed_Users","Approval_Status"
"Car_Policy.docx","Car_Policy","ITMS-4-13","Policy",Confidential,"9/11/2015 11:39:57","7.0","John","Mick","Robert","Miles","All Users","0"
"Mobile_Policy","Mobile_Policy","ITMS-4-16","Policy",Confidential,"31/01/2017 16:38:40","9.0","Allan","Mick","Robert","Miles","All Users","0"

Filname, il the real filename of the document
Title; is the title of the document
ID: id of the document
Doc_Category_BMS, is the category of the document: could be Policy, Procedure, Design,...
Confidentiality, could be Confidential, Limited, Private
Last_Update, is the last time update of the document
Version, the version of the document
Responsible_A_Manager, Person could edit the document
Responsible_B_Manager, Person could edit the document
Accountable_Owner, Owner of the document, which could publish the document (Approve it)
support_Contributor, People can edit the document
Informed_Users, People which can read the document when it's published
Approval_Status, Status of the document, could be Approved, Rejected, Pending, Draft

As explained before, I'll receive the log every day.
This log will contain the information of the document.
A document could be re-uploaded without change in the version. but the last update date could change.
A document could pass from a version to another: 4 ==> 4.1 ==> 4.2 ==> 5

I would like to detect when a document changed: new version and/or new last update date.

Sorry if the explanation is too long.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@danje57 I have updated my answer based on the details you have provided... I have not printed all the required values but given you hints which you can use to do in case you need the same.

danje57
Path Finder

Many thanks!!!
It works like charm!!!!

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@danje57... Glad it worked... You might have to consider summary indexing as well... So that older versions of same file are summarized as single row. That way search will perform better for longer duration!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...