Splunk Search

How to use timechart command to calculate the average of a field?

chengyu
Path Finder

My raw data:

Feb  7 18:18:23 impact 1 Gbps/137.54 Kpps, importance 2...
Feb  7 18:18:23 impact 3600 Mbps/137.54 Kpps, importance 2...

I want use timechart search command calculate avg(1Gbps & 3600Mbps) by week or month. Now i use rex to extract field 1G and 3600Mbps values but the field name is same. i wish to change 3600Mbps to Gbps then run timechart avg(field). What should i do? Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

chengyu
Path Finder

Hi Sir, data is 1 Gbps/137.54 Kpps or 3600 Mbps/137.54 Kpps, i want calculate 1Gbps & 3600 Mbps avg value, not Kpps value. So i can use rex extract field capture 1 and 3600 value and call field name "bandwidth", but 3600 need transfer to gigabyte, finally use splunk command "timechart sapn=1mon avg(bandwidth)"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

chengyu
Path Finder

Hi Sir, data is 1 Gbps/137.54 Kpps or 3600 Mbps/137.54 Kpps, i want calculate 1Gbps & 3600 Mbps avg value, not Kpps value. So i can use rex extract field capture 1 and 3600 value and call field name "bandwidth", but 3600 need transfer to gigabyte, finally use splunk command "timechart sapn=1mon avg(bandwidth)"

0 Karma

mpreddy
Communicator
If you were able to extract field  bandwidth 1 and 3600 then extract or split another field called type  Gbps and Mbps and use If condition type = Gbps  then bandwidth/1000 else bandwidth and then use timechart for average.
0 Karma

chengyu
Path Finder

myserarch ... |table bandwidth,_time | rex field=bandwidth "^(?P\d+.\d+)\s(?P\w+)$" | eval Unit=case(Unit="Gbps",1024,true(),1) | eval InGbps=(Value*Unit)/1024 |eval InGbps=round(InGbps,2) | timechart span=1d max(InGbps) as MaxGbps avg(InGbps) as AvgGbps

extract fields :
1.04 Gbps
384.05 Mbps
5.01 Gbps

0 Karma

mpreddy
Communicator

try like this:

base query |rex "impact\s(?<bandwidth>.*)/(?<mbps>.\d+.\d+)"  |timechart span=1mon avg(mbps) as avg by bandwidth
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Can you share your current search that you've so far?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...