Splunk Search

How to use substr to extract the first 3 letters of a field and use it as a grouping field?

chq_alanf
Explorer

I'm not sure I asked the right question, but I'd like to use substr to extract the first 3 letters of a field and use it as a grouping field. My query is as follows:

* | stats sum(bytes_in) as MB by user_id as substr(user_id,1,3) | eval MB=round(MB/1024/1024,2) | sort -MB head 20

The syntax validates, however, no results are returned. Taking the substr out returns results, but of every user, not grouped by branch code.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Solution

chanfoli
Builder

I would use | eval branch_code=substr(user_id,1,3) | to transform user_id to the 3 letter value before stats

View solution in original post

chanfoli
Builder

Also, see my latest example below which might help. It looks like by leaving out a pipe you told sort to use the non-existent field "head".

0 Karma

ppablo
Retired

Hi @chq_alanf

I'm not a search expert, but from looking at Splunk documentation, it looks like "substr" is a function of eval and where, not stats.
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.1/SearchReference/CommonEvalFunctions

chanfoli
Builder

Yeah I think stats is simply seeing that as a new field name in the above case.

0 Karma

chanfoli
Builder

I would use | eval branch_code=substr(user_id,1,3) | to transform user_id to the 3 letter value before stats

metylkinandrey
Communicator

Tell me, what should I do in my case, I need from the field: 1.SAPS-SIS.TO.LSP.SEND, or: "12.SAPS-SIS.TO.LSP.RECEIVE
Get field: "routepointIDnum": "1" or "routepointIDnum": "12"

I tried like this and it almost works:
index="main" sourcetype="testsystem-script333"
| eval routepointID_num=substr(routepointID,1,2)
| table routepointID_num

Almost because I get:
"routepointIDnum": "1." or "routepointIDnum": "12"
And I need:
"routepointIDnum": "1" or "routepointIDnum": "12"

0 Karma

chq_alanf
Explorer

That worked.. Thank you very much!

0 Karma

chq_alanf
Explorer

Thank You. I've tried that and many other combinations but still no results.

• | stats eval(round(sum(bytes_in)/1024/1024, 0)) as MB, user_id as BRANCH by MB | eval BRANCH=substr(user_id,1,3) | sort -MB head 20
0 Karma

chanfoli
Builder

The problem with the above is that your stats gives you BRANCH and MB, then you try to transform a non existent field (user_id). Stats only gives you the fields that you ask for stats on.

0 Karma

chanfoli
Builder
* | eval branch_id=substr(user_id,1,3) | stats sum(bytes_in) as MB by branch_id | eval MB=round(MB/1024/1024,2) | sort -MB | head 20
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...