Splunk Search

How to use rex to extract Linux directory sizes and names?

edwinmae
Path Finder

I run a daily script on the server, du -sk, against a certain directory that contains 200 subdirectories and write that to a .txt file

Example output (of the .txt file)

1000 name1 (1000 = size (total) and name1 = subdirectory)
1100 name2
1200 name3

In Splunk this shows in a similar way as above
Time and Event (Event data is 1000 name1) -- example --

Next line = 1100 name2, etc. --- every line looks like a 'separate' event (=line) in Splunk --

Now when I try to Extract new fields it throws:

Error in 'rex' command: Encountered the following error while compiling the regex '(?i)^(?P[^\t]+)': Regex: syntax error in subpattern name (missing terminator) 

Target is to show the output in a graph (likely in MB or GB) per 'subdirectory'. I saw a similar case, but I was not able to re-produce the solution that was stated.

There is very likely a very simple solution for this to separate the e.g. 1000 from the name1, but I have not succeeded myself -- Yeah I know 🙂

0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There's no need for the (?i) flag since your regex does not contain alphas. This command will extract the directory size and name.

... | rex "(?<size>\d+)\s+(?<dir>\w+)" | ...
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

edwinmae
Path Finder

Additional question 'to the same scenario': If we would have the following (within the same event)

1000 dir1
1200 dir2
1550 dir3
Etc.

.... | rex "(?<size>\d+)\s+(?<dir>\w+)" | eval GB=(size/1024)/1024 | timechart mode(GB) as Size by dir

This will give me only the first line, which is 1000 and dir1. How do I extract the sample above so that I have different events for all (directories and total values)?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There's no need for the (?i) flag since your regex does not contain alphas. This command will extract the directory size and name.

... | rex "(?<size>\d+)\s+(?<dir>\w+)" | ...
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

edwinmae
Path Finder

Worked -- Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...