Splunk Search

How to use rex command to extract value from the end of an event?

jambraun
Explorer

I know this type of question has been asked many times before, but I haven't been able to get results from using REX. Time to ask an expert.

Here's a typical event from a search:

9/22/16
4:55:03.000 PM  

2016-09-22 20:55:03+00:00 server.domain.com F5-BIGIP-SYSTEM-MIB::sysCmSyncStatusSummary.0 = STRING: All devices in the device group are in sync

host = server  
 source = /data/snmp/team_metrics_f5/teamMetricsF5__2016-09-22__server.log  
 sourcetype =team_metrics_snmp

I want to capture the value after STRING: "; e.g "All devices in the device group are in sync. This won't always be the value of course.

Here's the search string I was toying with that yielded 0 results:

index=team_f5_metrics F5-BIGIP-SYSTEM-MIB::sysCmSyncStatusSummary.0 | rex "STRING: (?<\Sync_Status>\d+)$" | table Sync_Status
index=team_f5_metrics F5-BIGIP-SYSTEM-MIB::sysCmSyncStatusSummary.0 | rex "STRING: (?"<\sync_status>\w+)$" | table Sync_Status

I couldn't figure out how to get the "<" to show up, so ignore the "\" in the field name

Thanks everyone!

--Jarred

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lquinn
Contributor

I think the structure of your query is fine - your regex just doesn't quite work. The first one you tried is looking for a string of digits, the second one a string of word characters. Neither of these look for spaces so if you are trying to capture a string which contains spaces you will need to add this into your regex as well. So you could use something like this ...

index=team_f5_metrics F5-BIGIP-SYSTEM-MIB::sysCmSyncStatusSummary.0 | rex "STRING: (?<Sync_Status>[\w\s]+)$" | table Sync_Status

Alternatively, you could open your regex up further, in case other characters might appear in the string, by using .* like this ...

index=team_f5_metrics F5-BIGIP-SYSTEM-MIB::sysCmSyncStatusSummary.0 | rex "STRING: (?<Sync_Status>.*)$" | table Sync_Status

View solution in original post

lquinn
Contributor

I think the structure of your query is fine - your regex just doesn't quite work. The first one you tried is looking for a string of digits, the second one a string of word characters. Neither of these look for spaces so if you are trying to capture a string which contains spaces you will need to add this into your regex as well. So you could use something like this ...

index=team_f5_metrics F5-BIGIP-SYSTEM-MIB::sysCmSyncStatusSummary.0 | rex "STRING: (?<Sync_Status>[\w\s]+)$" | table Sync_Status

Alternatively, you could open your regex up further, in case other characters might appear in the string, by using .* like this ...

index=team_f5_metrics F5-BIGIP-SYSTEM-MIB::sysCmSyncStatusSummary.0 | rex "STRING: (?<Sync_Status>.*)$" | table Sync_Status

jambraun
Explorer

Brilliant. Thank you! I'm still learning syntax. I know there are about 10 different ways to accomplish this but I particularly like the catch all *.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi jambraun,

your regex either matches only number or any word character. So by changing it into this:

index=team_f5_metrics F5-BIGIP-SYSTEM-MIB::sysCmSyncStatusSummary.0 
| rex "STRING: (?<Sync_Status>[^$]+?)$" 
| table Sync_Status

you should be able to get everything after STRING until the end of line. Tested and working on regex101.com

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

jambraun
Explorer

Works as well 🙂 Thank you for the example.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...