Splunk Search

How to use regular expression to cut the beginning of an Exception message?

Explorer

How to use regular expression for an Exception message from a Source=Windows:Application to cut the beginning of the message and display the just unique exception message?

index=indexname source="WinEventLog:Application" CNBD Employee |  table _time, host, Exception_Message 

Exception_Message :

Dear CNBD Employee: If you see this exception, you should likely splash some cold water on your face and spring to action! The item_number BA11110 on hu_id MX99999 for wh_id ONT was not found. We need to fix this immediately else it might lead to undersells causing a revenue hit.

I'm looking to cut the beginning of my exception message and begin at the sentence below :

The item_number BA11110 on hu_id MX99999 for wh_id ONT was not found. We need to fix this immediately else it might lead to undersells causing a revenue hit.

I'm very green when using regular expression and am trying to get more comfortable using it in my searches

0 Karma
1 Solution

Motivator

How about trying this if you think its always the first sentence which you want to remove (assumption below is first sentence shall end in . OR ! OR ? which can be extended based on type of sentence ending punctuation):

index=indexname source="WinEventLog:Application" CNBD Employee 
| rex field=Exception_Message "^.*?(\.|\!|\?)\s*(?<exception>.*)"
| table _time, host, exception

See extraction here

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Motivator

How about trying this if you think its always the first sentence which you want to remove (assumption below is first sentence shall end in . OR ! OR ? which can be extended based on type of sentence ending punctuation):

index=indexname source="WinEventLog:Application" CNBD Employee 
| rex field=Exception_Message "^.*?(\.|\!|\?)\s*(?<exception>.*)"
| table _time, host, exception

See extraction here

View solution in original post

0 Karma