Splunk Search

How to use "rex" instead of "replace" to search for strings with spaces?

maximusdm
Communicator

I was using REPLACE and that works fine until I found out that I cannot search for a string with spaces. For instance, this works great:

index=main sourcetype=access_combined | eval os=useragent
| replace Windows with Windows, Macintosh with Apple, Linux with Linux in os | top limit=3 useother=t os

but this won't work because now I am searching for a string with a space inside it:

source="file001.csv" host="my host" index="index001" sourcetype="csv" Advertiser!=DTV*
| eval sitesection='Site Section'
| replace Android Phone with AndroidPhone, Android Tablet with AndroidTablet in sitesection
| top limit=5 useother=t sitesection

Any ideas how to do this using rex? Thank you

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How about this. Match check for regular expressions, so you can basically put any content that you want to match.

Updated

source="file001.csv" host="my host" index="index001" sourcetype="csv" Advertiser!=DTV* 
| eval sitesection=case(match(sitesection,"Android.*Phone"),"AndroidPhone", match(sitesection,"Android.*Tablet"),"AndroidTablet",1=1,sitesection) 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

You can use replace in two ways and both of them should work as far as String with space should be placed within double quotes.

<your base search> | replace "Android Phone" with AndroidPhone, "Android Tablet" with AndroidTablet in sitesection | top limit=5 useother=t sitesection

You can also use replace recursively with eval:

<your base search> | eval sitesection=replace(replace (sitesection,"Android Phone","AndroidPhone"),"Android Tablet","AndroidTablet")| top limit=5 useother=t sitesection

Using Rex to remove spaces within field.

<your base search> | rex mode=sed field=sitesection "s/ //g"|

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How about this. Match check for regular expressions, so you can basically put any content that you want to match.

Updated

| eval sitesection=case(match(sitesection,"Android.*Phone"),"AndroidPhone", match(sitesection,"Android.*Tablet"),"AndroidTablet",1=1,sitesection) 
0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Do you mean something like this didn't work? (first line is just to generate sample data)

| gentimes start=-1 | eval sitesection="this is Android Phone here" | table sitesection 
| eval sitesection=case(match(sitesection,"Android Phone"),"AndroidPhone", match(sitesection,"Android Tablet"),"AndroidTablet",1=1,sitesection) 
0 Karma

maximusdm
Communicator

actually the search for a string with a space did not work in this case. I will just use REPLACE with an asterisk in it and it will work.

0 Karma

maximusdm
Communicator

this is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!
ps: my REPLACE method eventually worked too. I tried to post my solution but this site wouldnt let me post more than 2 posts a day....bummer

thank you

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

FWIW, this works in 6.5.1

| makeresults | eval sitesection="Android Phone" | replace "Android Phone" with AndroidPhone in sitesection | table _time sitesection

To the same using rex:

| makeresults | eval sitesection="Android Phone" | rex field=sitesection mode=sed "s/Android Phone/AndroidPhone/" | table _time sitesection
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

maximusdm
Communicator

it didnt work, it says that makeresults must be the first command of a search so I moved it to the top but no luck. Also I need to add other string searches in the same query and the behaviour needs to be like the one in REPLACE, that is if I have the following string: "Testing Android Phone Watch"

I want to look for "Android Phone" and replace the entire string above with "Android" like this:
replace /Android Phone/ with Android

| makeresults    
| eval sitesection="Android Phone" | rex field=sitesection mode=sed "s/Android Phone/AndroidPhone/" 
| eval sitesection="iPhone"               | rex field=sitesection mode=sed "s/iPhone testing/iPhone/" 
| table _time sitesection

PS: removing makeresults seems to replace the string....testing it now

Thanks again

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The makeresult command Rich used was to just generate placeholder to test the rex/replace command. You should replace | makeresults | eval sitesection="Android Phone" with your search.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...