Splunk Search

How to use Splunk ODBC driver to import an excel report to splunk?

sara91
Explorer

Hi All,

I want to import a scheduled excel report generated from one prod system to splunk. When I manually imported it, it showed me encoded as shown below

alt text

I read through few answers to similar query, and found that splunk doesnot support xls foramt. Splunk can upload only text based format file. Then I came across, splunk ODBC driver, in the blog "Excelling with excel in splunk" (link below).

https://www.splunk.com/blog/2016/02/15/excelling-with-excel-in-splunk.html

The blog states that "..... Splunk enables you to connect Excel directly to Splunk with the ODBC Connector for Windows, as well as enabling you to export with outputcsv a csv file. Dominique from Helvetia Insurance has developed a Splunk TA that is freely available on Splunkbase which allows you to import, export and e-mail data in XLS format..... "

But then I did not find qny relevant document which explains "how to import excel sheet using this driver" except the link below to "use it with microsoft excel"
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ODBC/2.1.1/UseODBC/MicrosoftExcel

Is there any relevant document for the same or any other method to analyse the excel reports in splunk?

0 Karma
1 Solution

HiroshiSatoh
Champion

"ODBC connection" is a function to access Splunk data from Excel. It is not a function to import into Splunk.
It is common to convert to CSV and import.

Although it may be possible to import with "SPLUNK-> DB CONNECT-> JDBC-> ODBC-> EXCEL", I don't do it because it's cumbersome.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

HiroshiSatoh
Champion

"ODBC connection" is a function to access Splunk data from Excel. It is not a function to import into Splunk.
It is common to convert to CSV and import.

Although it may be possible to import with "SPLUNK-> DB CONNECT-> JDBC-> ODBC-> EXCEL", I don't do it because it's cumbersome.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...