Splunk Search

How to use JSON subfields with the eval command?

gzak
Engager

My log entries consist of a single json object, like so:

{ Severity: "INFO", Message: { StatusCode: 200, Route: "/hello/world?x=1" } }
{ Severity: "WARN", Message: { StatusCode: 500, Route: "/hello/world?x=2" } }

Just as a test, I'm able to create the following panel in my dashboard:

index="my_index" | bucket span=10m _time | stats count(eval(Severity="WARN")) as warning by Message.Route, _time

This appears to work fine since the Severity property is at the root of the json object. However, if I switch to one of the subproperties of the object, it doesn't find any records:

index="my_index" | bucket span=10m _time | stats count(eval(Message.StatusCode="500")) as warning by Message.Route, _time

I should also point out that if I don't wrap the "500" in quotes, it gives me a typechecking error saying that the '==' operator is being applied to two different types of arguments (which doesn't make any sense, and might be contributing to this issue).

Please advise on how I can procede. This shouldn't be so difficult...

1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Field names which contains special characters like spaces OR dot (.), should be enclosed within single quotes when referring in eval OR where command's expressions. So your second query should work with following syntax

index="my_index" | bucket span=10m _time | stats count(eval('Message.StatusCode'="500")) as warning by Message.Route, _time

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Field names which contains special characters like spaces OR dot (.), should be enclosed within single quotes when referring in eval OR where command's expressions. So your second query should work with following syntax

index="my_index" | bucket span=10m _time | stats count(eval('Message.StatusCode'="500")) as warning by Message.Route, _time

gzak
Engager

I could have sworn I tried all sorts of combinations of single quotes yesterday before coming here, but today it worked on my first try. Anwyay, this is definitely the solution.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...