Splunk Search

How to troubleshoot connectivity issues using Splunk?

trentsnowbarger

a customer reports intermittent connectivity issues to the internet, a website, what have you. Our instance of Splunk captures logs from our firewalls and other network devices. 
What are some search strings I would use, or how would I start using Splunk to troubleshoot historical (not live) connection issues going out to a website?

I know this is a broad question, but I'm just looking for some ideas on where to start. Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

smurf
Communicator

Hi,

first, I would look if a firewall dropped anything. So search the index with firewall logs for the user's IP address and the website's IP address, most likely port 80 or 443 since it is a website. I would do the same for any other network device like IPS/IDS. 

Hope this helps, at least a little.

smurf

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...