Splunk Search

How to timewrap for today Format

Thulasinathan_M
Communicator

Hi Splunk Experts,

The timewrap command is using d(24 hr) format, but I'm wondering is it possible to make it Today format.

Ex: If Current time is 10AM, then it's displaying timechart of 12 AM to 10AM (12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 00, 02, 04, 06, 08, 10), but I'm looking for 00 AM to 22 (00, 02, 04, 06, 08, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22).

Any advice would be much appreciated.

index="_internal" error
| timechart span=10m count as Counts 
| timewrap d series=exact time_format="%Y-%m-%d"

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

First of all, thanks for introducing me to timewrap😎 (which arrived in Splunk 7).  Back in Splunk 5, I was bugging veterans in this board to help with a clumsy attempt to wrap.

Timechart is governed by a pair of internal, write-only fields info_min_time and info_max_time determined at search time.  All you need to do is to shift search window.

index="_internal" error latest=+1d@d

Because you are at 10AM now, if your time selector is, say last 7 days, you'll get some weird artifact whereby 10 first hours in the first day is actually cut off.  To rectify, specify - either in selector or in your search that you want to start at the beginning of that first day.  E.g.,

index="_internal" error earliest=-7d@d latest=+1d@d

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

First of all, thanks for introducing me to timewrap😎 (which arrived in Splunk 7).  Back in Splunk 5, I was bugging veterans in this board to help with a clumsy attempt to wrap.

Timechart is governed by a pair of internal, write-only fields info_min_time and info_max_time determined at search time.  All you need to do is to shift search window.

index="_internal" error latest=+1d@d

Because you are at 10AM now, if your time selector is, say last 7 days, you'll get some weird artifact whereby 10 first hours in the first day is actually cut off.  To rectify, specify - either in selector or in your search that you want to start at the beginning of that first day.  E.g.,

index="_internal" error earliest=-7d@d latest=+1d@d

Hope this helps.

Thulasinathan_M
Communicator

Wow, that's a very useful information. Thanks for explaining @yuanliu. It's working perfectly!!! 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...