Splunk Search

How to stats count but get all values?

secphilomath1
Explorer

Here is the search I am trying to do and I hope I can explain this correctly....I am searching for dlp events where there are x events within a period of time for my testing I am using 1 hour...

index=epp "content threat" Policy="Content Aware Protection - Content Threat Detected"

`comment("Creating buckets of 10 minutes")`

| bin _time span=1h | stats count values(MatchedItem) by _time ClientUser, DestinationDetails, MatchedItem
| eval PotentialLeak=if(count >= 10, 1, 0)
| search PotentialLeak = 1

What I am trying to get out of this is a table of the following;

_time, ClientUser, DestinationDetails, MatchedItem etc

However, I only see one MatchedItem, not all of them for one user I know there is 12 but only see one of them.

Hope that explains it well enough and appreciate your help.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm surprised this works at all since the same field name is used in both the values function and in the by clause.

Note that values removes duplicates so if all 12 are the same then you will see only one.  Consider using list or this alternative search.

index=epp "content threat" Policy="Content Aware Protection - Content Threat Detected"

```Creating buckets of 10 minutes```

| bin _time span=1h 
| stats count values(MatchedItem) by _time ClientUser, DestinationDetails

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

secphilomath1
Explorer

Oh yeah, that is exactly what I am seeing now, when I try your search, I still only see the unique values.  I will take a look at list

0 Karma

seemanshu
Path Finder

Hi @secphilomath1 ,

As per your search mentioned in the question, after the by clause, you are using the following terms,

_time ClientUser, DestinationDetails, MatchedItem

Here, since "MatchedItem" has been used after the by clause, its only looking for the values(MatchedItem) unique to every "MatchedItem", thus you only see one MatchedItem.

The correct search should be like following,

`comment("Creating buckets of 10 minutes")`
| bin _time span=1h 
| stats count values(MatchedItem) by _time ClientUser, DestinationDetails

Hope this helps.

Kindly support the answer, if found helpful!

0 Karma

secphilomath1
Explorer

That has me much closer, thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...