Splunk Search

How to split up a string into multiple fields?

robayers
Explorer

I have a field that consists of data separated from a json  data field using this search.

index="test-99" sourcetype="csv"   | eval AuditData_keys = json_keys(AuditData)  ths works perfectly and creates the field called AuditData_keys

The data in field AuditData_keys in unique based on the values in a field called operations. There are 39 unique values, each with its own unique set of fields.  I'm trying to export each value of the operations field into distinct fields per value. My initial idea was to have individual eventtypes for each operations value. The issue I'm having is what is the best way to extract the fields as they contain similar fields as well as additional fields for each operation value.

I came up with this search to create a value for each value in the operations field and its relevant data fields.

index="test-99" sourcetype="csv" | eval AuditData_keys = json_keys(AuditData)| table Operations AuditData_keys | dedup AuditData_keys| outputcsv AuditData_extracted_fields_unique.csv

Here is a sample of one operation value and its fields.

Operation value       Values(fields)  from the AuditData_key

UserLoginFailed["CreationTime","Id","Operation","OrganizationId","RecordType","ResultStatus","UserKey","UserType","Version","Workload","ClientIP","ObjectId","UserId","AzureActiveDirectoryEventType","ExtendedProperties","ModifiedProperties","Actor","ActorContextId","ActorIpAddress","InterSystemsId","IntraSystemId","SupportTicketId","Target","TargetContextId","ApplicationId","DeviceProperties","ErrorNumber","LogonError"]

Short of manually typing the fields for each operation value and using the strings command, there has to be a more efficient way.

This is o365 audit data extracted with powershell as a csv file that has embedded json data.

Thanks in advance

Robert

Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Karma

robayers
Explorer

Ive created a regex on the regex101 site to detect all of the fields and put them in groups. Here is that regex,

\"(.[^\"]+)

This works and detects all of the fields and puts them in groups named automatically. I'd like to use the extracted data as the fieldname without all of the typing.  The regex above doesn't work in Splunk, or at least I  can't make it work.

0 Karma

robayers
Explorer

Ideally a repeatable process that does what you said, but the json extractions from the main field, AuditData and subsequent embedded json fields and their data can be performed on a scheduled basis.using an eventtype for each embedded json field

0 Karma

robayers
Explorer

This search breaks it out, but there are also json fields that are nested in the results of the first spath command that also contain fields of data, such as these.

source="AuditLog_2021-03-01_2021-05-07.csv" host="DESKTOP-U34OQHV" index="test-99" sourcetype="csv" | spath input=AuditData

DeviceProperties{}.Name
DeviceProperties{}.Value
ExtendedProperties{}.Name
ExtendedProperties{}.Value
ModifiedProperties{}.Name
ModifiedProperties{}.NewValue
ModifiedProperties{}.OldValue
Target{}.ID Target{}.Type

On a side note, this is a process that will be repeated for quite a few o365 tenants, on a scheduled basis.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you not use spath to extract the json fields?

0 Karma

robayers
Explorer

That was unsuccessful at least on my attempts.  The majority  of the data is csv, except for a couple of fields which  are nested json.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you separate out the field that has the json in, then spath on that field?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could break out the collections from the json field, mvexpand to create separate event, then spath the collection field. It is unclear exactly what you are trying to achieve, which makes it difficult to give more specific advice.

0 Karma

robayers
Explorer

Ideally something that  is repeatable, with options that are defined in a sourcetype while  importing the the downloaded csv. The imported file is downloaded on a scheduled basis.

Ive created a regex that works on the regex101 website,  \"(.[^\"]+)

This works and detects all of the fields and puts them in groups named automatically. I'd like to use the extracted data as the fieldname without all of the typing.  The regex above doesn't work in Splunk, or at least I  can't make it work.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...