Splunk Search

How to split a multivalue field into single values?

alexandermunce
Communicator

I am working with a field < source_ip > containing three IP addresses and am wanting to split the values of that field into individual values.

The field data currently looks like this:

10.1.0.1 192.168.0.1, 192.168.2.1
10.1.0.1 192.168.3.1, 192.168.4.2

As you can see, the first and second IP addresses are separated by a space and the second and third is separated by , (a comma and a space).

I have tried using SPL commands to split this data, but I feel that a command which uses REGEX may be more suitable.

Is it possible to split these IP addresses into individual values in the same field, ie the < source_ip > field will then contain a list of single IP addresses (rather than splitting the three values into three separate fields).

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If the field always contains exactly three IP addresses then this rex command should do the job.

... | rex field=foo "(?<ip1>[^\s]+)\s(?<ip2>[^,]+),\s(?<ip3>.*)" | ...
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If the field always contains exactly three IP addresses then this rex command should do the job.

... | rex field=foo "(?<ip1>[^\s]+)\s(?<ip2>[^,]+),\s(?<ip3>.*)" | ...
---

alexandermunce
Communicator

@richgalloway

One other question - I feel that it may likely be the case that only the 2nd or 3rd IP address may be relevant in the end - can I tweak your REGEX code so that it ignore the first and/or second IP and only extracts the third?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Extract just the third IP address with this regex

... | rex field=foo ", (?<ip>.*)" | ...

You also requested an explanation of my original regex.
(?<ip1>[^\s]+) takes everything up to the first white space and puts it into field 'ip1'
\s(?<ip2>[^,]+) skips a space then puts everything up to the next comma into field 'ip2'
,\s(?<ip3>.*) skips a comma and a space and puts the remaining characters into field 'ip3'.

---

alexandermunce
Communicator

You are a gentleman and a scholar, thank you kindly!

Answer accepted and upvoted.

alexandermunce
Communicator

@richgalloway

Thank you for your response - quick follow up question - can I extract all three of the values to the SINGLE new field - perhaps similar to the below;

... | rex field=foo "(?<ip_new>[^\s]+)\s(?<ip_new>[^,]+),\s(?<ip_new>.*)" | ...

Also - not sure if you have the time, but care to explain the logic behind your REGEX code?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Regular expressions don't allow the same group name to be used more than once so your rex command won't work.

To split the field into a new (multi-valued) field, use the split function.

... | eval bar=split(replace(foo, ",", "")," ") | ...

The replace function removes the comma. The result is a multi-valued field containing the three IP addresses. You can use mv commands to access them.

---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...