Splunk Search

How to set up an alert to trigger only if a second search does not return results within 30 seconds of the previous search?

dnsGuy314

I have a current alert that is working as expected to capture a log event that states a service is down. We have started to receive many false positives on this because the service automatically recovers in a matter of seconds. I would like to change the alert so that instead of immediately sending a notification, it will pause for 30 seconds and search for a recovery event and only send the notification if that recovery is not found.

edit:

index=networklogs host=foo10* OR host=foo11* AND ("member" AND "monitor status down") 
   |rex "monitor status\s+(?<State>\w+)"
   |rex "member /Common/(?<trpHost>[^:]+):53"
  |eval Identifier=trpHost + "dropped out of the VIP pool"
  |eval Summary="Critical Infrastructure - Server dropped out of the VIP pool.  Pool member is " + State + "."
  |eval ProcessID="foo"
  |eval Severity=if(
          State=="down",
        )
  | eval Type=if(State=="down",
            )
  |eval OwnerGID=1000 
  |eval ForceUpdateFields="Severity,Type,Summary"
  |eval Submitter="foo"
  |eval LOB="IP"
  |eval AlertGroup="VIP Member Dropped out"
  |eval Agent="rdns"
0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

*UPDATED*

index=networklogs host=foo10* OR host=foo11* AND "member" AND ("monitor status up" OR "monitor status down") | rex "monitor status\s+(?<state>up|down)" | transaction host startswith="monitor status down" endswith="monitor status up" maxspan=30s maxevents=2 keepevicted=t | where closed_txn=0 AND state="down"

dnsGuy314

How can I test this?

I tried changing the maxspan to 1s and set the timeframe to where we had false positives of 6s downtime but I still didn't get a result.

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

My bad, try updated query

0 Karma

dnsGuy314

would my test scenario be correct then? adjust the maxspan?

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

you could play around with maxspan, yes

0 Karma

dnsGuy314

I'm not having success with this. Can you breakdown what you suggested into what it is doing? I don't understand the field closed_txn=0

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

closed_txn=0 will show transactions that don't have 2 events (start and end).

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Can you share your query?

0 Karma

dnsGuy314

I cannot edit the original post or submit any further replies so, here is the second search that should generate the alert if no results are found:

index=networklogs host=foo10* OR host=foo11* AND ("member" AND "monitor status up")
0 Karma

Anupriya_Kumawa
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Is it resolved, I am also trying for same kind of query , when a state changes from CLOSED to OPEN , i am logging these message like (state changes from closed to open, state changes from open to close). Now I want trigger an alert when after changing the state from closed to open  if it does not change back to closed in 10 minute. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...