Splunk Search

How to set max y-axis value to a number derived from a search?

cspires64
Path Finder

I need to base the max y-axis value to the number created from a search . . . how do I do that? I looked at hidden searches and HiddenChartFormatter, but I can't get it work. I want to define the variable and set it in XML and then set the max y-axis value to the variable.

Example:
variable=@max set @max=|search . . .

<option name="charting.axisY.maximumNumber">@max</option>

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

chahal3108
Explorer

Hi,

You can achieve this. First, create a hidden dropdown with dynamic options. Pass your query to calculate the maximum y-axis range from this. Now the dropdown token will have that max value. Then use that token, say max_count, as folows:

<option name="charting.axisY.maximumNumber">$max_count$</option>

So, the code will look like this (intentionally removed other options for better visibility):

<fieldset submitButton="false" autoRun="true">
    <input type="dropdown" token="max_count" searchWhenChanged="true" depends="$xyz$"> //any non-existing token for depends
      <label>Count</label>
      <selectFirstChoice>true</selectFirstChoice>
      <populatingSearch earliest="0" latest="" fieldForLabel="Count" fieldForValue="Count">query</populatingSearch>
    </input>
  </fieldset>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <chart>
        <title>Title</title>
        <searchString>query</searchString>
        <earliestTime>$InputTime.earliest$</earliestTime>
        <latestTime>$InputTime.latest$</latestTime>
        <option name="charting.chart">column</option>
      </chart>
    </panel>
  </row>

Hope this helps !!!!

PS: Tested on Splunk 6.2+

View solution in original post

chahal3108
Explorer

Hi,

You can achieve this. First, create a hidden dropdown with dynamic options. Pass your query to calculate the maximum y-axis range from this. Now the dropdown token will have that max value. Then use that token, say max_count, as folows:

So, the code will look like this (intentionally removed other options for better visibility):

<fieldset submitButton="false" autoRun="true">
    <input type="dropdown" token="max_count" searchWhenChanged="true" depends="$xyz$"> //any non-existing token for depends
      <label>Count</label>
      <selectFirstChoice>true</selectFirstChoice>
      <populatingSearch earliest="0" latest="" fieldForLabel="Count" fieldForValue="Count">query</populatingSearch>
    </input>
  </fieldset>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <chart>
        <title>Title</title>
        <searchString>query</searchString>
        <earliestTime>$InputTime.earliest$</earliestTime>
        <latestTime>$InputTime.latest$</latestTime>
        <option name="charting.chart">column</option>
      </chart>
    </panel>
  </row>

Hope this helps !!!!

PS: Tested on Splunk 6.2+

avisram
Path Finder

Hi chahal3108,

How would you edit the populatingSearch so that you can use a token from a time range picker input on the form for the earliest and latest search parameters? My max_count value needs to be based on a dynamic time range as opposed to a fixed time range.

Thanks.

0 Karma

chahal3108
Explorer

Hi avsiram,

You have earliest and latest available under populating search tag. Just pass your input time picker variable under those.
e.g.

<populatingSearch earliest="$InputTime.earliest$" latest="$InputTime.latest$" fieldForLabel="Count" fieldForValue="Count">query</populatingSearch>
0 Karma

avisram
Path Finder

I was able to incorporate the time token directly into the query string. This now works when the chart is initially displayed, however when I change the time range from the picker the previous value is retained in the Count field with the updated value being displayed as a selection under from the drop-down. I have "unset" the max_count token when the time range is changed however this has not resolved the issue. Any further suggestions?

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

Which chart are you trying? Is it for Bar Chart? if then, you need to apply on "axisX" . Try hardcoding the @max value to test if it works.

<option name="charting.axisX.maximumNumber">2000</option>
<option name="charting.axisTitleX.text">axisTitleX TestName</option>
0 Karma

cspires64
Path Finder

Hardcoding the axis will not solve the issue.

I need a to set a dynamic scale based on a search.

Use case: customer requests two charts that he compares daily. He wants both charts to have the same axis so he can easily compare them.

Option 1: combine the charts - this won't work; it makes the chart too busy and unreadable.
Option 2: hard code the scale of both charts - this won't work because values range greatly from day-to-day or depending on the slicers selected. Therefore, one day the scale would be correct and the next day the chart would be nothing but white space.
Option 3: have a dynamic scale based on a hidden search. This is what we are currently trying to do. create a search to find the max value from both charts and then set that value as the max on the y-axis for both charts.

As far as I know, there is not a solution for this issue.

0 Karma

SwatiApte
Path Finder

Hi,

Could you please let me know if you had any luck with this problem. We have a similar need and would be great if someone can provide a solution or provide pointers for this.

0 Karma

cspires64
Path Finder

I am still unaware of a solution for this issue.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...