Splunk Search

How to set all column names to capital letters

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hello dear Splunkers,

Any idea how to set column names to uppercase/capital letters?
I'm not talking about all the data in the data set, just the column names. I have a table with 10 column and 10000 events and would like to have the column names in capital letters.
Also I don't want to have to go through 10 renames, I'm looking for an automatic way to set them all to capital letters in case i add extra columns.

Regards,
David

0 Karma
1 Solution

acharlieh
Influencer

I think having a command with explicit renames is honestly your best bet performance wise... Using an eval trick I learned from @alacercogitatus I came up with:

... |  foreach * [eval temp=upper("<<FIELD>>"), {temp}='<<FIELD>>'| fields - "<<FIELD>>" temp ] 

However it too seems to scale terribly with lots of results, taking longer than the base search for merely a few thousand results due to the number of executions it has to make versus a single explicit rename command listing all fields

View solution in original post

acharlieh
Influencer

I think having a command with explicit renames is honestly your best bet performance wise... Using an eval trick I learned from @alacercogitatus I came up with:

... |  foreach * [eval temp=upper("<<FIELD>>"), {temp}='<<FIELD>>'| fields - "<<FIELD>>" temp ] 

However it too seems to scale terribly with lots of results, taking longer than the base search for merely a few thousand results due to the number of executions it has to make versus a single explicit rename command listing all fields

rjthibod
Champion

I don't think there is a shortcut to doing this without using rename many times. I do not think you can use fieldformat and foreach directly. There may be some roundabout way using appendpipe to generate a list of new field names and then renaming the old names, but that seems a bit much.

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

I was thinking about something with a transpose -> eval upper -> transpose... But it doesnt seem to work with a lot of rows..

0 Karma

rjthibod
Champion

Correct, there is a limit on transpose.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...