Splunk Search

How to search the count of web requests by folder specified in URI stem of web server logs?

madrum
Explorer

I have an enterprise scale MVC website with 4 or 5 major modules/views that runs on a Windows server with full IIS logging enabled. I want to get a count of the requests under each view (e.g. /admin/...) or JavaScript/PlugIn library (e.g. /scripts/plugins/popover/...) that take longer than 2 seconds.

The search I have now is:

cs_host = myawesomesite.com AND time_taken > 2000 | timechart count by cs_uri_stem

This search returns every file requested (e.g. /Scripts/PageScripts/TransactionController.js). This is a problem because there are too many distinct file names to show in one report legend (Splunk groups files that can't be displayed into "Other"). If I can group by view or library, which live in their own folders, I can get the count per section of the site I need.

What I'm looking for is a legend with the following items (and a chart to go with it obviously):

/Admin
/Managment
/Reporting
/Scripts/Plugins/grid-view
/Content/CSS

I believe there's a way to parse fields with a regex and store that so it can be used in the group by but, after hours of research and testing, I could not get a search to produce the results I need.

Thanks!

0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

cs_host=mysite.com | rex field=cs_uri_stem "(?<path>\/.*\/)" | timechart count by path

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

cs_host=mysite.com | rex field=cs_uri_stem "(?<path>\/.*\/)" | timechart count by path
0 Karma

madrum
Explorer

Perfect! Thanks very much.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...