Splunk Search

How to search the count of a single event for a user per day and sum over the period of a week?

pparkerntx99
Explorer

Howdy from Dallas Tx,
I'm a new Splunk user and I'm fighting with search.
I am using a subsearch that returns a subset of data for my main search.

I'm attempting to count only one event per day and sum over a week, However my search only returns only a single user event over the whole week custom time period. I know there are multiple events over the week period for my results when I took out the "DEDUP" command.
What I'm trying to get as output is the sum of a single user's event(of multiple) per day for the week.
so output would be user\JDoe 4

index="login" sourcetype="Login"[search index="hrdata" sourcetype="HRFeed" Employee=John Doe | table SignonID ]
| dedup USERID | bucket _time span=1d | stats count as LoginCount by _time, USERID | sort USERID
_time USERID LoginCount
6/29/14 12:00:00.000 AM User\JDoe 1

0 Karma

pradeepkumarg
Influencer

if you want only one event per day, then try using something like this

... | dedup USERID, date_mday | stats count as LoginCount by USERID

Running the above search for a 7 day period should give you what you are expecting

pparkerntx99
Explorer

Thanks that helped a lot, I had to change my bucket to week instead of day

Thanks again for your help

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...