Splunk Search

How to search indexed JSON array output for objects that match a distinct name/value pair

beetlegeuse
Path Finder

I'm calling a REST API using curl on a UF to collect data from a remote DataPower appliance; the output is in JSON format and is written to a flat file that Splunk ingests and indexes. The JSON data looks like this (this snippet represents one event ingested by Splunk with three classes/objects cited in the "ObjectStatus" array; in reality, there can be dozens and dozens of classes/objects within the array):

{

"_links" : {

"self" : {"href" : "/mgmt/status/default/ObjectStatus"},

"doc" : {"href" : "/mgmt/docs/status/ObjectStatus"}},

"ObjectStatus" : [{

"Class" : "DNSNameService",

"OpState" : "up",

"AdminState" : "enabled",

"Name" : "dns",

"EventCode" : "0x00000000",

"ErrorCode" : "",

"ConfigState" : "saved"}, {

"Class" : "CRLFetch",

"OpState" : "down",

"Name" : "crl",

"EventCode" : "0x00360010",

"ErrorCode" : "No CRLs configured",

"ConfigState" : "saved"}, {

"Class" : "Statistics",

"OpState" : "up",

"Name" : "statistics",

"EventCode" : "0x00000000",

"ErrorCode" : "",

"ConfigState" : "saved"}]}

I'm using a custom sourcetype to process the events in Splunk; props.conf looks like this (installed on both the UF and my indexers):

[dp_json]
    INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = json
    KV_MODE = none

Splunk appears to be processing the events correctly, as the following fields are present (and match up with the expected values):

ObjectStatus{}.AdminState

ObjectStatus{}.Class

ObjectStatus{}.ConfigState

ObjectStatus{}.ErrorCode

ObjectStatus{}.EventCode

ObjectStatus{}.Name

ObjectStatus{}.OpState

Here's my dilemma. I would like to identify objects in a particular state. For example:  I would like to know which objects in the array have ObjectStatus{}.OpState equal to "down", with the ObjectStatus{}.Class and ObjectStatus{}.OpState returned for each object that matches. I've tried a search query such as this...

sourcetype=dp_json index=main "ObjectStatus{}.OpState"="down" | table "ObjectStatus{}.Class", "ObjectStatus{}.OpState"

...but this returns every Class from each event, regardless of OpState being "up" or "down".

What adjustments are required in order to get the output I'm looking for?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

Nisha18789
Builder

@beetlegeuse , your query looks correct , but have you tried with "ObjectStatus{}.OpState"="*down*"  

to rule any possibility of spaces in the value.

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
index=_internal | head 1| fields _raw
| eval _raw="{\"_links\":{\"self\":{\"href\":\"/mgmt/status/default/ObjectStatus\"},\"doc\":{\"href\":\"/mgmt/docs/status/ObjectStatus\"}},\"ObjectStatus\":[{\"Class\":\"DNSNameService\",\"OpState\":\"up\",\"AdminState\":\"enabled\",\"Name\":\"dns\",\"EventCode\":\"0x00000000\",\"ErrorCode\":\"\",\"ConfigState\":\"saved\"},{\"Class\":\"CRLFetch\",\"OpState\":\"down\",\"AdminState\":\"enabled\",\"Name\":\"crl\",\"EventCode\":\"0x00360010\",\"ErrorCode\":\"No CRLs configured\",\"ConfigState\":\"saved\"},{\"Class\":\"Statistics\",\"OpState\":\"up\",\"AdminState\":\"enabled\",\"Name\":\"statistics\",\"EventCode\":\"0x00000000\",\"ErrorCode\":\"\",\"ConfigState\":\"saved\"}]}"
| spath ObjectStatus{} output=ObjectStatus
| spath
| stats values(links.*) as * by ObjectStatus
| spath input=ObjectStatus
| fields - ObjectStatus
| search OpState=down
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...