Splunk Search

How to search for the Min, Max, Average of several fields of the same event?

jwidhalm
Explorer

I have events with several fields and the fields have a common portion and a variable portion: i.e. aaaaa0500 = 234, aaaaa0501 = 432, aaaaa0502 = 302, etc. I want to find the Min, Max, and Average of the values of these fields, within each event, over time.

Ive found/tried several examples but nothing achieved the desired results. The closest I came was:
...| stats max(aaaaa05*), min(aaaaa05*), avg(aaaaa05*) by _time

But this yields the stats for each field within each event which is not what I am looking for. Using the example data above, if the above data were in the same event, then I would want to see: Min=234, Max=432, Avg=322.6

Any ideas would be appreciated

Tags (5)
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can use this slightly cumbersome beast:

base search | eval max = -9999999 | eval min = 9999999 | eval sum = 0 | eval count = 0
|  foreach aaaaa* [eval max = if('<<FIELD>>' > max, '<<FIELD>>', max) | eval min = if('<<FIELD>>' < min, '<<FIELD>>', min) | eval sum = sum + '<<FIELD>>' | eval count = count + 1]
| eval avg = sum / count

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can use this slightly cumbersome beast:

base search | eval max = -9999999 | eval min = 9999999 | eval sum = 0 | eval count = 0
|  foreach aaaaa* [eval max = if('<<FIELD>>' > max, '<<FIELD>>', max) | eval min = if('<<FIELD>>' < min, '<<FIELD>>', min) | eval sum = sum + '<<FIELD>>' | eval count = count + 1]
| eval avg = sum / count

jwidhalm
Explorer

Thank you Martin! This did the trick.

-John

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...