Splunk Search

How to search for events where someone visited a domain from a list in a static CSV file?

janiceb
Path Finder

Greetings All,

I am trying to use a static CSV file that contains bad domain indicators and search Splunk logs for any events where someone may have gone to that domain. The CSV file only contains one column with the heading of "Domain".

How can I accomplish this in Splunk? I read about the inputlookup command, but this appears to be a way to add fields from the CSV file to my Splunk events.
I am not looking to do this. I am just looking to have my results return any hits to those domains. I am using the WinDNS logs as my sourcetype and those logs also have a field in it called "Domain".

Thanks,

Janice

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try like this. If your logs have field Domain with exact same values as in Domain field in your lookup

index=foo sourcetype=WinDNS [| inputlookup yourdomainlookup.csv | table Domain ]

If your logs have field Domain with values as super set of Domain values in your lookup (logs has www.maps.google.com and lookup has just google.com), then try this

index=foo sourcetype=WinDNS [| inputlookup yourdomainlookup.csv | table Domain | eval Domain="*".Domain."*"]

View solution in original post

alexandermunce
Communicator

One approach depending on how you would like to format your results would be to add another field to your CSV labelled "error" with all values being "true" perhaps and for any matches in the lookup OUTPUT a new field "error" with the value "true".

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try like this. If your logs have field Domain with exact same values as in Domain field in your lookup

index=foo sourcetype=WinDNS [| inputlookup yourdomainlookup.csv | table Domain ]

If your logs have field Domain with values as super set of Domain values in your lookup (logs has www.maps.google.com and lookup has just google.com), then try this

index=foo sourcetype=WinDNS [| inputlookup yourdomainlookup.csv | table Domain | eval Domain="*".Domain."*"]

janiceb
Path Finder

Thanks so much! This works great!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...