Splunk Search

How to search and extract the correct value from duplicate keys in an event?

konrads
Explorer

Hello,
I have a lot of events indexed which contain the following line:
|ip="0.0.0.0" foo="bar" ip="174.34.166.10" timestamp="2014-08-18 06:30:33 UTC"

The first "ip" value is "wrong" value and the second should be used only. How do I search/extract the second ip value and discard the first?

1 Solution

konrads
Explorer

Self-answer: use search time field extraction: (?i) ip="(?P[^"]+)" timestamp

View solution in original post

konrads
Explorer

Self-answer: use search time field extraction: (?i) ip="(?P[^"]+)" timestamp

petecooper
Explorer

Assuming your "0.0.0.0" is that "wrong" value you want to avoid (and that's not just a placeholder you put in here), why not try using a regex to match IP addresses that aren't 0.0.0.0?

Even if 0.0.0.0 isn't actually the value that you're trying to avoid, a regex could probably help you extract the second address, anyway.

The docs for spunk's regex function even include a couple of ip-address matching examples you might be able to adapt: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1.3/SearchReference/regex

0 Karma

konrads
Explorer

if I'd do that, then where I have ip="0.0.0.0" ... ip="1.2.3.4" lines won't match at all. Field extraction was the way to go, but thanks for your suggestion.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...