Splunk Search

How to search all field values except a particular one?

summitsplunk
Communicator

I have an app that can show source by country

Example:
Country=China

In SPL how would I format this if I wanted to Search like all possible values for Country except like USA?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

cmerriman
Super Champion

try Country!=*USA* if there is a wildcard, not that I can imagine a wildcard in the country.
otherwise, Country!="USA" or NOT Country="USA" should do the trick

it should be noted that when using !=, any event that does not include Country will also be excluded whereas when using NOT, events where Country doesn't exist will come back as well. So if Country is in 80% of your events and you only want to exclude "USA" but want to include events without Country, use NOT Country="USA". If you want to exclude both null country values as well as USA, use Country!="USA"

View solution in original post

cmerriman
Super Champion

try Country!=*USA* if there is a wildcard, not that I can imagine a wildcard in the country.
otherwise, Country!="USA" or NOT Country="USA" should do the trick

it should be noted that when using !=, any event that does not include Country will also be excluded whereas when using NOT, events where Country doesn't exist will come back as well. So if Country is in 80% of your events and you only want to exclude "USA" but want to include events without Country, use NOT Country="USA". If you want to exclude both null country values as well as USA, use Country!="USA"

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...