Splunk Search

How to search a list of sourcetypes by index and save it as a dashboard panel?

athorat
Communicator

I need to get the list of Sourcetypes by Index in a Dashboard.

I got this search from Splunk forums which gives the list, but the index name is listed for all sourcetypes. I need to group by Index. Also, when I save this as a dashboard panel, it never shows any data.

Report works fine. Any other way/search to get the data from _internal indexes?

Search:

| eventcount summarize=false index=* index=_* | dedup index | fields index 
 | map maxsearches=100 search="|metadata type=sourcetypes index=\"$index$\" | eval index=\"$index$\""
 | fields index sourcetype

Thanks.

0 Karma
1 Solution

MuS
Legend

Hi athorat,

just learned this week that tstats is the perfect command for this, because it is super fast. So take this example:

| tstats count WHERE index=* OR sourcetype=* by index,sourcetype | stats values(sourcetype) AS sourcetypes by index

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

Micheal_S
Explorer

To expand on some of the other answers. I ran into errors with tstats when trying to go back more than a few days on the time picker. I figured this was due to memory required for the events it was pulling back. I went with the eventcount method I saw in other posts. I was working on something similar, but found that the search didn't list empty indexes. To incorporate empty indexes I used: 

| eventcount summarize=false index=* 
| search NOT index IN ( <indexes you don't want to include> )
| dedup index 
| fields index
| map maxsearches=100 search="|metadata type=sourcetypes index=\"$index$\" | eval index=\"$index$\""
| append [| eventcount summarize=false index=* 
| search NOT index IN (
<indexes you don't want to include>
)
| dedup index 
| fields index] 
| fillnull value="No Known SourceTypes" 
|  stats count as mc values(sourcetype) as sourcetype by index 
| stats count values(mc) as mc by index sourcetype
| eval sourcetype = if(sourcetype=="No Known SourceTypes" AND mc>1, NULL,sourcetype) 
| dedup index sourcetype 

If you want to group the results by index you can append a stats command to the search like:

<base search> | stats values(sourcetype) as sourcetype by index

0 Karma

Lasse72
Engager

Maybe the cleanest (fastest) way?

|tstats values(sourcetype) by index

MuS
Legend

Hi athorat,

just learned this week that tstats is the perfect command for this, because it is super fast. So take this example:

| tstats count WHERE index=* OR sourcetype=* by index,sourcetype | stats values(sourcetype) AS sourcetypes by index

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

ssubhani
Explorer

Thanks a lot . It really helped me as well . I was trying to do it with stats but tstats is much better .

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this:

| metadata type=sourcetypes index=*  | stats values(sourcetypes) by index
0 Karma

athorat
Communicator

Thanks for the reply @woodcock
Does not return any results for me.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...