Splunk Search

How to search a CSV lookup table and return matches with a count?

ehaile039
Engager

Hi Splunkers,

I have a CSV file that contains several different IOCs, such as domains, hashes, ip addresses, and email addresses. I would like to perform a search and return all matches with a count.

file name:ioc.csv
column field :ioc
Example of CSV file:
ioc
badstuff.com
45CD661D53DFC80A0A5A7927F9EE313L

I am able to get the search to work and return the events with the following query:

index=* sourcetype=* [|inputlookup ioc.csv |rename ioc as query|fields query]

The problem I am having is returning a count for the matches, since some matches fall under different fields. For example, if the search listed above returns a total of 3 events, 2 domain matches, and 1 hash match if did the following:

index=* sourcetype=* [|inputlookup ioc.csv |rename ioc as query|fields query]|stats count by domain

The domain matches will return with the count, but not the hash results. How would go about performing a count on all matches that are returned?

Thanks in Advance!

sundareshr
Legend

Try

|inputlookup ioc.csv |stats count by  ioc
0 Karma

ehaile039
Engager

That will only read the csv file into Splunk and provide the count. I want to search my indexed data for any maches on the csv file and return the ioc and count.

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

What does ioc map to in your indexed data? Is it query? What's domain? Have you tried

index=* sourcetype=* [|inputlookup ioc.csv |rename ioc as query|fields query]|stats count by query

Can you provide details on your indexed data you want to include in your search?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...