Splunk Search

How to replace values outputted from |stats with values from another search?

DenverGeo
Engager

Hello!

I am attempting to take a variety of values for a single field and essentially use another search from a different index to rename them to a more human readable value. Both indexes do have a field that contains a 1:1 value that I could potentially use |join, however I am having issues with the stats table output where the search is failing to pull up any data or pulling up all data despite searching for a specific value in a field. I have tried |append as well but not getting the results I expect. 

Example:

index=index_ mac_address=* logical_vm=* state=online
| stats latest(physical_vm) as server latest(ip_address) as IP latest(logical_vm) as host by mac_address 
| search server=z4c8h2 IP=* host=* name=*
| stats count by server

Output:
mac_address | server | IP | host
xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx | z4c8h2 | 10.0.0.0 | vm01.internet.io

index=translate box=z4c8h2
| table human_name

The translate index search shows the name that I would like to replace in the index_ search for server, but cant get the stats table to update correctly. 

Any suggestions how to format a join/append or some other method of getting the value to update in the Stats output table?

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sounds like you could use a lookup.

You index that contains the human_name - is that something that could be turned into a lookup, where the values are static - if so, then after your stats you would simply do

| lookup server_list.csv server 

where the lookup file contains the server/human_name.

From your naming of the index, it would appear that this data is designed to be a way to translate box-->human_name - is that right? If so, then lookup would seem an option.

If a lookup is not practical, then you need another solution - note that join is an option - but you always explore alternatives before using join, as it has limitations.

The join option sounds simple enough

| join server [
  index=translate
  | rename box as server
  | fields server human_name
]

A stats solution would need to correlation the human_name/box/server/mac_address fields to get it done in a single search.

View solution in original post

DenverGeo
Engager

Thank you, this inline search got me to where I needed to be. 

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sounds like you could use a lookup.

You index that contains the human_name - is that something that could be turned into a lookup, where the values are static - if so, then after your stats you would simply do

| lookup server_list.csv server 

where the lookup file contains the server/human_name.

From your naming of the index, it would appear that this data is designed to be a way to translate box-->human_name - is that right? If so, then lookup would seem an option.

If a lookup is not practical, then you need another solution - note that join is an option - but you always explore alternatives before using join, as it has limitations.

The join option sounds simple enough

| join server [
  index=translate
  | rename box as server
  | fields server human_name
]

A stats solution would need to correlation the human_name/box/server/mac_address fields to get it done in a single search.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...