Splunk Search

How to remove duplicate column values in table?

the_wolverine
Champion

I have a table that contains several columns. The table looks something like this:

timestamp,region,product_number,status,count
time1,americas,12345,done,5
time2,americas,23456,fail,4
time3,emea,34567,done,3
time4,emea,56789,fail,1
time5,emea,56789,done,2

I would like to reformat it to remove the column values that are duplicated:

time1,americas,12345,done,5
time2,        ,23456,fail,4
time3,emea,34567,done,3
time4,    ,56789,fail,1
time5,    ,     ,done,2
0 Karma
1 Solution

Ayn
Legend

I don't think there's a generic solution to remove "duplicates" in any field (at least I can't think of one), but if it's OK to specify fields you could achieve this with streamstats.

... | streamstats current=f last(region) as _lastregion, last(product_number) as _last_product_number | eval region=if(region==_lastregion,"",region) | eval product_number=if(product_number==_last_product_number,"",product_number) | ... (and so on)

View solution in original post

Ayn
Legend

I don't think there's a generic solution to remove "duplicates" in any field (at least I can't think of one), but if it's OK to specify fields you could achieve this with streamstats.

... | streamstats current=f last(region) as _lastregion, last(product_number) as _last_product_number | eval region=if(region==_lastregion,"",region) | eval product_number=if(product_number==_last_product_number,"",product_number) | ... (and so on)

the_wolverine
Champion

Um, it works. Turns out I had bad data. Thanks, Ayn!

0 Karma

bmacias84
Champion

have you considered using selfjoin on region?

0 Karma

the_wolverine
Champion

It doesn't produce the table I'm looking for unfortunately. What I get from your suggestion is:

time1, ,12345,done,5
time2, ,23456,fail,4
time3,emea,34567,done,3
time4,emea,56789,fail,1
time5,emea, ,done,2

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...