Splunk Search

How to pull in client/server errors into table format?

Khanu89
Path Finder

Hello - thank you for assisting in advance. I need to write up a query which will pull in client/server errors from event message into table format as shown below. 

_time status_category Error Code error_count
2022-01-26:17:30:00 server error 503 2
2022-01-26:18:30:00 client error 404 6

Here are  examples of the EvenTypes and available fields for the index.

Error 443.png

Error 503Error 503

FieldsFields

Labels (4)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@Khanu89 

• Your logs seem not to be formatted properly in order to extract the error code. As if you look at the two examples that you gave here there is no common format as such we can write a regex to extract those values.
    • Let me know if any additional information you have on this.
  • Though, I'm giving you a query that should be able to help you once you find out a way to extract the ErrorCode field.
<your search query>
| stats count as error_count, max(_time) as _time by ErrorCode
| eval status_category=case(ErrorCode>=400 AND ErrorCode<500, "client error", ErrorCode>=500, "server error", 1==1, "-")

I hope this helps!!!

View solution in original post

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@Khanu89 

• Your logs seem not to be formatted properly in order to extract the error code. As if you look at the two examples that you gave here there is no common format as such we can write a regex to extract those values.
    • Let me know if any additional information you have on this.
  • Though, I'm giving you a query that should be able to help you once you find out a way to extract the ErrorCode field.
<your search query>
| eval status_category=case(ErrorCode>=400 AND ErrorCode<500, "client error", ErrorCode>=500, "server error", 1==1, "-")

I hope this helps!!!

Khanu89
Path Finder

@VatsalJagani I figured out my rex query and was able to use yours to get my table but not all rows are populating. here is what I go so far.

Query:

index=epic_ehr sourcetype="WinEventLog:Epic"
|rex field=_raw "%\s(?P<ErrorCode>.*)\s"
|table _time,ErrorCode,Status_Category,Error_Count

Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 6.44.07 PM.png

How can convert this data into a Pie chart which shows percentage of each error code?

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@Khanu89 - For pie chart that shows count by ErrorCode.

| stats count by ErrorCode

0 Karma

Khanu89
Path Finder

@VatsalJagani I have tired that it does not categorizes the errors. I'd like to see the pie chart breakdown by error code. For example 401 - 2%, 404 - 18%, 443 - 23% and etc.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@Khanu89 - I thought that should work (reference - https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.6/Viz/PieChart), but please also try:

| chart count by ErrorCode

OR

| chart count over ErrorCode

And change the Visualization to Pie Chart and it should show what you want I think.

For % (percentage), you need to use the following option in the XML part of the pie chart to show percentage values.

<option name="charting.chart.showPercent">true</option>

I hope this helps!!!

0 Karma

Khanu89
Path Finder

@VatsalJagani I have also tried what you've suggested and it gives me the following pie chart which isn't what I want.

Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 9.56.17 AM.png

I would like the pie chart to be like the one below  but group all 400's, 500's, Other instead of listing individually as they are listed in the screenshot.

Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 9.55.07 AM.png

I 

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's not working as you expect because the ErrorCode field is not being extracted correctly.

Regex seems very generic. It would match anything that starts with % (percentage sign) and comes between two spaces (\s).

A somewhat better regex would be (still not 100% accurate as logs are not as formated):

| rex field=_raw "%\s(?P<ErrorCode>\d+)\s"

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...